The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

new to me plainfield

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2021 at 5:43pm
My '43 NPM has the same wear pattern to the feed ramp, only not as pronounced. It runs like a champ.
Karl, 68 coupe
NPM, 43
Universal, 80
Kahr 1827-A1 Thompson 2019
SA M1 Garand 42
AO 1911A1
Taurus PT1911
Beretta M92(compact)
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2021 at 5:57pm
Still guessing. Some commercial bolts have shallow plunger spring pockets. I have gutted Universals and Iver Johnsons that had very short plunger springs and long plungers. If the bolt will assemble with the plunger fully seated, it should still work, but I said we were guessing....still are. When you manually cycle the extractor with something like a screwdriver, does it move completely away from the inner cavity wall?

Is the extractor nose protruding past the bolt skirt? Are there any marks on the breech-face that could be made by the skirt or extractor striking it?

Is head space too tight?
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2021 at 7:33pm
Just a tip when putting the bolt back together....When you put the extractor plunger back into the spring before trying to push it down with the pawl, put a tiny dab of heavy grease or vaseline on the end of the spring first. It will hold the plunger in place long enough for you to get the pawl on it without the plunger jumping off and hiding in the carpet.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2021 at 7:48pm
There has to be a reason they altered the pressure on the extractor, but I have seen it in two IJ’s. I don’t know if the Plainfield in question came out of the IJ shop or not.

I have a pic of that system. I will see if I can find it.

Here it is. One on left is GI. The right came from an IJ.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12