Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

D-Marked Winchester Receiver

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D-Marked Winchester Receiver
    Posted: Apr 11 2019 at 10:55pm
This gun was on a table at the Wanenmacher’s Gun Show in Tulsa last weekend.  It is a 5.72 million Winchester with a “D” stamped below the serial number on the right side, below the right-most digit.  There is bare metal in the imprint.  Seller said the “D” indicated a duplicate serial number because of an overrun or error by Inland.   Carbine Club Newsletters 203-5, 237-6, and 357-9 have brief mention of the D marking and speculate on the reason and source without arriving at any definite conclusions.  Seller wasn’t keen on my photographing the receiver so I didn’t pursue it.  When I circled back the gun had been sold.  It is now listed in auction.  This photo is from that auction.

wmmwraghd View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmmwraghd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2019 at 4:17pm
Which auction?  THX
hunterman View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2019 at 5:03pm
Not trying to promote the auction.  I was wondering if anyone had seen this before.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2019 at 10:14pm
hunterman, WB III page 1134 has a picture of Winchester 5550148 with the D in the same location as the one you have pictured, it says the "D" distinguishes it from the duplicated Inland serial #.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply