Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Post WWII Howa Parts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2023 at 10:22am
Adam, how many holes in the wood under the butt plate? Can you post a picture. Thinking one of the stocks I got from J&G looks just like yours, have to look for it.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
adam lee View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2023 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Adam, how many holes in the wood under the butt plate? Can you post a picture. Thinking one of the stocks I got from J&G looks just like yours, have to look for it.

Sure thing. Here it is.
(likely) Japanese Howa stock views of wood - under the butt plate.

Yesterday, it worked. Today it is not working. Windows is like that.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2023 at 12:59pm
Yes, mine also has the two additional small holes as well as the random black splotches on the stock.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
adam lee View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adam lee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2023 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Yes, mine also has the two additional small holes as well as the random black splotches on the stock.

Right - now what exactly is the deal with the random black splotches? You can see from my photos I posted that there are several locations where that has appeared on this stock.

I'm wondering if a batch of Howa stocks got splattered somehow, and got sent packing as "blems"....LOL

Regardless, thanks for collaborating to better understand the provenance of these mysterious unmarked Howas. Makes me want to go ahead and order some more from J&G to see what will come up in the dice roll!

Adam
Yesterday, it worked. Today it is not working. Windows is like that.
vellnueve View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vellnueve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2023 at 8:27pm
I bought a 5 pack of the nasty J&G stocks and one looks very similar to that one. It had no markings to speak of and was nasty dirty with heavily rusted metal but had the same black splotches and a faint rack number. There was a second in that batch without splotches. 

Two of the others were heavily worn USGI stocks, one a converted high wood stock with multiple repairs.

The stock in question got a Tru-Oil coat after some citristrip because it was truly nasty dirty. One of the USGIs now lives on one of the stockless carbines from the LR collection. This one will probably go on the RIA receiver from his collection once Fulton is done with it.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2023 at 8:40am
"The one and only finish approved for use on the wood of the Caliber .30 Carbine was raw linseed oil."

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/uploads/4885/RLO_only_PM_monthly.jpg

To extrapolate on the above. raw linseed oil was the only approved finish for all USGI stocks made of wood. Pure tung oil (not boiled tung oil) was an alternative, but before WW2 Japan was blocking tung oil (China oil) from being exported to the USA. PTO fell to the wayside with Linseed being grown in the US.

Before reaching for cleaners on nasty stocks, try rubbing a liberal coat of RLO on the stock, let it sit a few minutes, wipe down with a soft cloth. massage the dirty areas with RLO using a old spot sock or a piece of denim on tougher dirt.

If you are interested in my opinions of water based cleaners, search the many posts on RLO vs BLO.

@vellnueve, key pictures would be the oiler slot, area inside the stock by the recoil plate as well as under the recoil  plate. holes under butt plate

If the recoil plate is unmarked then pics of that would be appreciated as well

vellnueve View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vellnueve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2023 at 11:08pm
I have some pics but the mobile browser is giving me problems uploading. I’ll sit down and upload them at some point. Unfortunately I don’t know which recoil plate goes to which because they were all super rusty so I pulled them all to clean them.
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2023 at 12:16am
Just post a pic of all the buttplates together. If there is a Howa we can ID it as same. Buttplates are shown on one of our web pages to help with ID.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/buttplates.html
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12