Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

STD PRO adjustable sight staking question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Tennent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: STD PRO adjustable sight staking question
    Posted: Apr 02 2019 at 5:19pm
What does the staking on this 2.197335 STD. PRO. dovetail tell us?
Is there evidence of once having a type 1 rear sight? (See red circle)
Is there evidence of having been staked twice for an adjustable sight?
Thanks in advance!

Dave
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2019 at 7:53pm
The 2.23 SP I used to have presented a similar situation, of which I never really confirmed. I know the H in shield sight looked like it had been on for decades. Another note, mine was also staked on the left hand side and through the finish too.

The above picture has some striking similarities to mine.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2019 at 8:20pm
Did SP always stake their flip sights? I know I have an early spring tube Winchester w/o flip sight index/stake marks.   
JackP
Dave Tennent View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Tennent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2019 at 8:48pm
Here's one example of STD.PRO. rear sight staking.
Dave
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2019 at 1:44pm
The first question is "would we expect to see an adjustable rear sight on a Standard Products"

War Baby page 463 shows milled adjustable 'H' in shield used near the end of production.
It then mentions stamped adjustable with insufficient data available

CCNL shows milled adjustable sights showing up as early a 2167587 which seems too early.

War Baby page 468 shows International Register "IR Co" as a supplier of adjustable rear sights to SP.

So is it plausible? Perhaps. 

What is meant by "near the end of production"?

The rear sight was adopted in April of 1944. That is the same month that Standard Products made their last delivery of carbines in the amount of 18,005 according to WB
March they delivered 25,000

The highest reported serial number to the club is 2,238,554
without accounting for scrap numbers that would put an estimated delivery date of the carbine in question at Feb 1944.

This is why we scrutinize the stake marks.

Disregarding the mark circled let's look at the bottom stake mark. It is textbook adjustable rear sight stake mark by the book. The thin edge of the dovetail is prone to breakage due to the receiver being hardened. Staking was not to be done at the edge, rather back a bit to deform the metal into the notch. 

Now look at the top stake marks, what do you see?

Why Carbines brings up an interesting scenario, does your rear left dovetail have a staking mark?

As to a rear sight looking like it was on a carbine a very long time, If it was a field replacement in 1945 would that still qualify as "A very long time"?
 Post Reply Post Reply