Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carbine Ammo Packaging - 45 and 50 Round Cartons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carbine Ammo Packaging - 45 and 50 Round Cartons
    Posted: Mar 30 2019 at 11:44pm
I was looking through the latest issue of the International Ammunition Association Newsletter (Issue # 526), and I found something with which I'm unfamiliar. To my recollection, I've only encountered WWII era USGI M1 Carbine ammo in 50 round cartons. A diagram in the newsletter indicates that in the old "Terne Plate Packing" configuration, that Carbine ammo was packaged in 45 round cartons. Does anyone have an example of this type of carton?

I want to use this opportunity to plug membership in the International Ammunition Association. The image snip below is intended as a limited use sample of the type of content that is published quarterly in their high quality, well researched newsletters. I enjoy reading them every 3 months, and I encourage anyone who finds this interesting to consider joining the organization.

Thanks!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2019 at 1:05pm
Good stuff!
A quick check and CCNL 347-13 talk about the 3 sleeves of 15 rounds in each box.
Makes sense as each sub box would fill one magazine.
Problem is obviously wasted space which is cured with the 50 round box.

This was a followup to 346-24 spotters report by Billy Pyle.
Do you have an Ordnance School manual Ammunition-General Vol. 2, dated November 1942?

David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2019 at 2:49pm
New2brass,

I don't have Ordnance School manual Ammunition-general Vol. 2, but I do have TM 9-1900, Ammunition, General, dated 7/3/42, which has just a small amount of Carbine ammo information. What information are you looking for?

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2019 at 4:33pm
David, the manual I cited had line drawings of the proper packing and marking of carbine ammo, that according to the newsletter.

If there is enough info maybe there is an article to be made?
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2019 at 8:17pm
New2brass,

I'd be up to write some Carbine articles in the future, but I have some other writing projects that I'm wanting/needing to wrap up. I'm 247 pages into a book I've been writing for the last 5 years on Eugene Reising and his .22 firearms, and I want to finish it up this year. I'm also presenting a lecture at the next meeting of the American Society of Arms Collectors in Springfield, MO at the very end of May, and have to write an accompanying manuscript for our journal, so my spare time will be somewhat limited.

I think there are many niche M1/M2 Carbine subjects that could/should be written about, where little or no coverage has occurred before. I encourage anyone who has the gumption to pursue documenting new material.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2019 at 4:37pm
David, and for any Ammo collectors:
Looking for info or images of Cal. .45 steel cartridge, zinc plated. head stamp circa 1944 by Remington Arms Company 
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2019 at 9:02pm
New2brass,

I seem to recall having one of these casings or cartridges at some point. I will check if I still have it.

David
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
gbehrman View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gbehrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2019 at 11:59am
I read in one WW2 book in the Pacific islands that when the ammo came up to the front it was 45 rounds for the Cabine along with ammo for the Garand, BAR etc.
gbehrman
 Post Reply Post Reply