Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My new Carbine. Kill marks?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2019 at 10:47pm
TenOC,
I've heard of LEAD and a date like 2-69 being etched on the Garand receiver leg.
Have seen LEAD just like your's along with AN near it stamped on the left side of Garand stocks.
I've owned 1 Carbine stock with the same LEAD marking style you have, I used for patch wood because it was so beat up. The right side had what looked to be Ink stamps, 3 placed in a triangular placement. I couldn't make out what they were, but they were Ink Stamps of some type.

LEAD, I understood to mean the Rebuild/Inspection marking by Letterkenny Army Depot.
Below is a picture I saved that someone posted with the markings on their Garand.

VR,
Charlie-Painter777

PS: Guess I should add, In case you were wondering what the LEAD stood for.
Excuse me if you already knew........

Living Free because of those that serve.....
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2019 at 8:31am
Yes, I found it intriguing to see the Red River stamping was just like the Letterkenny one. The two LEAD that we found were incredibly beaten up as well, and yes I understood them to be Letterkenny. There is some demand for these stocks, even this one which had been broken in two pieces and crudely put back together. You coulda turned your wreck into a check, Charlie. Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12