Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Commercial Carbines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RANGE REPORT, Fulton Armory M-1 Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RANGE REPORT, Fulton Armory M-1 Carbine
    Posted: Mar 24 2019 at 3:55pm
Ok, finally got a chance to test my Xmas present to myself this year

My normal outdoor range has been closed (and is closed till after Labor Day for remodeling CryCry ) so it's taken me this long to get to a indoor range in my area with 100 yard lanes.

I tried to zero it but gave up, I hate trying to zero a rifle with earmuffs so after a few rounds I switched to a function check on the magazine that came with the rifle and a couple of my USGI.

The Fulton Armory one looks like a refurbished USGI mag. It has a "U" on it but has a M-2 style follower and looks brand new. I had 2 FTF's on it, both at the 15th round so I figure it's a tight spring.

2nd mag I tried no issues, 3rd one I tested I had 1 FTF but I think I nudged the mag while I was trying to bench rest the rifle.

Good news is even though I wasn't trying to shoot zero it ran nice tight groups, I'm thinking it's zeroed and the earmuffs screwed my point of aim up.

I only ran 175 rounds out of 250 I took. I figured since I couldn't get a zero might as well save the ammo for another day. I figure with a 400-500 round break in period this will be a great shooting Carbine   
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2019 at 4:55pm
Thanks for the report. I have been considering a Fulton barrelled action. I have the GI parts to assemble (at least 1) a carbine. Have had difficulty finding a decent USGI action and a Fulton action would be my next choice for a build.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2019 at 5:04pm
Any day at the range is a good day.

You might try the Howard Leight ear pads as an alternative to muffs for rifle shooting. They don't get in the way and are very inexpensive along with being good hearing protection.

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Honeywell-Shooting-R-01538/dp/B001DZO87M/ref=sr_1_12?hvadid=77859220954967&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=hearing+protection+howard+leight&qid=1553464541&s=gateway&sr=8-12
JackP
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2019 at 5:10pm
[QUOTE=jackp1028]Any day at the range is a good day.

You might try the Howard Leight ear pads as an alternative to muffs for rifle shooting. They don't get in the way and are very inexpensive along with being good hearing protection.

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Honeywell-Shooting-R-01538/dp/B001DZO87M/ref=sr_1_12?hvadid=77859220954967&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=hearing+protection+howard+leight&qid=1553464541&s=gateway&sr=8-12[/QUOTE]

The range in question would consider those "earplugs". I need a flat set type. It's not a major deal, I've only used this range for rifles 1 time before this, at $22 bucks a hour and I normally like to shoot 2-3 hours using different rifles I can wait awhile for my normal range to open back up Smile

I've been getting my lead allotment shooting pistols the past couple months
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 24 2019 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

Thanks for the report. I have been considering a Fulton barrelled action. I have the GI parts to assemble (at least 1) a carbine. Have had difficulty finding a decent USGI action and a Fulton action would be my next choice for a build.

The Fulton actions are supposed to be USGI spec, made by LMT.
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2019 at 3:47am
I think you will find the failures to feed are less and less as the carbine gets broken in. If it keeps happening after 250 rounds I'd be looking at which magazine(s) to see if there is consistency with which ones and how many rounds are left in the magazine when it happens.

Failures to feed come in several different forms. The position of the cartridge when everything locks up can be a helpful clue. But for now just keep on shooting and enjoy.

Thanks for the posts guys.

Jim
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2019 at 8:12am
Originally posted by sleeplessnashadow sleeplessnashadow wrote:

I think you will find the failures to feed are less and less as the carbine gets broken in. If it keeps happening after 250 rounds I'd be looking at which magazine(s) to see if there is consistency with which ones and how many rounds are left in the magazine when it happens.

Failures to feed come in several different forms. The position of the cartridge when everything locks up can be a helpful clue. But for now just keep on shooting and enjoy.

Thanks for the posts guys.

Jim

I was thinking the same thing Jim. Last round FTF on the Fulton provided mag I expect was the stiff spring.

I need to sort through my mags anyway and see what's what.

FYI, on that Howa mixmaster….shop is putting a new rear sight on at their cost.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2019 at 8:45am
My Fulton receiver says SAVAGE, MD on the side of it.
Al Macasaet View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Macasaet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2019 at 6:06am

I sent this carbine to Fulton Armory and they really did a good job refurbishing the rifle with new barrel (match quality FA by Criterion-chrome finish bore), firing pin, extractor, ejector, trigger housing retaining pin, hammer, magazine catch (all USGI parts) and re-parkerized.  It's almost new.  Took 14 weeks but it's all worth the wait.

Since my original purchase came with 6 magazines, I just cleaned them and stretched the wires.  Generally I have problems with the 30 rounder but zero issues with the 15 rounds. That's all I use now.

Cost a little bit more altogether but still low on the totem pole of collectibility, however it's reliable and accurate. 
Al Macasaet
NRA Life Member
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2019 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Al Macasaet Al Macasaet wrote:

I sent this carbine to Fulton Armory and they really did a good job refurbishing the rifle with new barrel (match quality FA by Criterion-chrome finish bore), firing pin, extractor, ejector, trigger housing retaining pin, hammer, magazine catch (all USGI parts) and re-parkerized.  It's almost new.  Took 14 weeks but it's all worth the wait.

Since my original purchase came with 6 magazines, I just cleaned them and stretched the wires.  Generally I have problems with the 30 rounder but zero issues with the 15 rounds. That's all I use now.

Cost a little bit more altogether but still low on the totem pole of collectibility, however it's reliable and accurate. 

I just my "Blue Sky" imported Inland to Fulton for a new barrel (same as yours and the one on my FA), new rear sight plus a tune up as needed.

After that I think I'll do the same with my CMP Inland (could use a new sight) and my Royal Thai marked one I've posted here.

It'll be pricey but I figure the CMP is now a heirloom gun, I as shoot the others more and not worry about breaking them
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2019 at 10:20am
@ Don & Al, just curious, when you send a carbine to Fulton to get a new barrel do they keep the old barrel or do they send it back to you?
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2019 at 11:14am
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

@ Don & Al, just curious, when you send a carbine to Fulton to get a new barrel do they keep the old barrel or do they send it back to you?

Al will have to answer that one, I just sent mine out yesterday .
LMTmonoMan View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMTmonoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2019 at 2:49pm
Sweet carbine, and great report!

I remember you from the Arfcom GD carbine thread.    I'm Greasyeasy over there.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Al Macasaet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2019 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

You can ask them to mail the barrel back to you.  Will be shipped separately to avoid damage to your rifle, will probably cost some.

Myself, did not care for the old barrel but I asked for the old dog-leg hammer, which is small enough for a plastic bag and ship back with my rifle.

By the way, thank you for your services to our country.
Al Macasaet
NRA Life Member
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Macasaet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2019 at 6:50am
Originally posted by DonFlynn DonFlynn wrote:

I just my "Blue Sky" imported Inland to Fulton for a new barrel (same as yours and the one on my FA), new rear sight plus a tune up as needed.

After that I think I'll do the same with my CMP Inland (could use a new sight) and my Royal Thai marked one I've posted here.

It'll be pricey but I figure the CMP is now a heirloom gun, I as shoot the others more and not worry about breaking them

Good move Don.  I think you'll be happy with FA ... have been impressed by their work.  Seems to me they take their time to do a good job.
Al Macasaet
NRA Life Member
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2019 at 9:22am
Originally posted by Al Macasaet Al Macasaet wrote:

Originally posted by DonFlynn DonFlynn wrote:

Good move Don.  I think you'll be happy with FA ... have been impressed by their work.  Seems to me they take their time to do a good job.

Yeah, I figure I've got most the guns I want (keep trying to talk myself into a Garand but I've never really liked those) so outside of ammo I can put some money into getting my Carbines checked over.

CMP Inland is on the top. When it's time to send it to FA (over the summer I'm thinking) I'll have them check it, install either a new sight or see if they can fix the one on it and tune it up.

I might get a new stock for it, the one that came with it had a cracked fore guard and the one in the picture is a replacement. I think the stock on my FA looks better with the deep walnut finish.

My "Royal Thai" I'll do last. That'll give me 4 of them, 2 full time shooters, 1 part timer (the FA, I want to keep it at 300-500 rounds a year) and the CMP as a safe queen that can still be used in a SHTF world  
RClark9595 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RClark9595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2019 at 2:50pm
Wow beautiful pictures, Fulton builds a beautiful carbine, I especially like the M1A1 of Al Macosaet's it looks more eye appealing than the original WWll version.
I really like the hand grip and how it molds into the stock. Al, who built that rifle do you know, you mention Blue SKY imported Inland but that doesn't tell me much? If nothing else, is it the original or the new Inland how did it become a Blue Sky import? I'd love to get a stock, grip and folding shoulder assembly just like it. Some people may say I'm crazy and should stick to USGI, but I know what I like, and I like this.
Great looking carbine Al Macoaet
Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2019 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by RClark9595 RClark9595 wrote:

Wow beautiful pictures, Fulton builds a beautiful carbine, I especially like the M1A1 of Al Macosaet's it looks more eye appealing than the original WWll version.
I really like the hand grip and how it molds into the stock. Al, who built that rifle do you know, you mention Blue SKY imported Inland but that doesn't tell me much? If nothing else, is it the original or the new Inland how did it become a Blue Sky import? I'd love to get a stock, grip and folding shoulder assembly just like it. Some people may say I'm crazy and should stick to USGI, but I know what I like, and I like this.

I'm not Al but I remember aftermarket stocks for Carbines were plentiful in the 60's and 70's. I had a Plainfield that had a "Schmeisser" style (not the Plainfield "Para" style) folding stock back in the 80's I wish I still had
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Macasaet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2019 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by RClark9595 RClark9595 wrote:

Thanks Ron RClark9595, unfortunately I have no history on my rifle in terms of previous owners.  I bought it from Keystone Shooting Center in Pennsylvania in 2018.  It seems like no one was really interested in it because it does not have the classic USGI look.  

Paid over $400.  It's by Inland and the serial number indicates it is from 1942.  Again the stock is Bianchi circa 1960.

Don Flynn was referring to his collection when he mentioned Blue Sky.

Thanks for your interest.  Feel fortunate to stumble onto this.
Al Macasaet
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply