Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

T marked Win. receiver.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoky 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T marked Win. receiver.
    Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 6:38pm
Question for you all, I have had a Win. carbine with a T marked receiver for some time. I have not been able to get any information on the contractor or how many with a T mark.
  Thanks for your help.
  Smoky
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 6:51pm
look very closely to the left and right. Should be a W T A or A T W.
What serial range, does it have the Winchester name on the receiver?

Smoky 1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoky 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 7:07pm
Nope. Only a T.  Ser# range is 5779XXX
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 7:21pm
T codes were seen in the 5.7 and 5.8 range. A very desirable carbine.
Smoky 1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoky 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2019 at 6:27pm
Pictures of T marked Win.  Wish I had better picts.

Smoky 1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoky 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2019 at 6:50pm
more picts
Smoky 1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoky 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2019 at 6:53pm

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2019 at 8:52am
Another nice one, you had more light with your Underwood, do better pictures.
I adjusted the color of your pictures and added them to your above post.

Are there any markings on the barrel band?
Are you sure it is marked Winchester? if Winchester it should have Trademark either above or below.

After Underwood and other prime contractors ceased production in mid-1944 Winchester agreed to buy leftover parts under their terms.

It is evident Winchester received a quantity of Underwood subcontracted receivers in various states of completion. Some had the Underwood name which they lined out. Some did not have the name or serial number so Winchester added their information. 
There are several variations to this as well.

Winchester, for the most part, added an A W to the heel.
So please do take a flashlight and look under the rear sight to see what it is marked.

Your Underwood has the S which we discussed was a subcontracted receiver made by United Shoe Manufacturing.
This Winchester has a T which is for InterType, who was the subcontractor of the receiver to Underwood. Subsequently transferred to Winchester.

Underwood had two other subcontractors of receivers
Singer Manufacturing Company which has an unexplained B on the heel
Universal Windings also a subcontractor for receivers

Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2019 at 10:36am
From the side it looks it has the normal type two band Winchester used, although the weld marks on top are weaker than I've normally seen ( better pictures would help ). Also, in the serial range the OP mentioned, just a T was seen and had Winchester markings.

Most T codes seen are rebuilt so this one appears to be pretty neat.
Smoky 1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoky 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2019 at 11:23am
Wow, You guys have great information. To start,The typ 2 band is unmarked. The 4 spot welds are very clear but does not show well in the picture.There is a W about 4in. from the front sight and a W in a circle about 2in up from the barrel band. I took a light under the rear sight and could see ONLY winchester, nothing else. 
chipins View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chipins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2019 at 11:46am
I have an untouched winchester with the T on the receiver. Type 2 band , type 2 rear sight . Have to look at the serial , i think its a 5.7. Late Winchester stock with the cross cannon only. Its been there and done that , green patina and dirty stock . Beautiful carbine, thats the way i like them. Real nice one the OP has.
Smoky 1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoky 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2019 at 12:08pm
Carbines have increased in value so much that it is hard to keep up with. I am NOT selling any of them but would like to know aprox. value. I the T win. worth more than one without the T,? Is the Underwood S worth more than without S.?
 Thanks for the info.
 Smoky
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2019 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Smoky 1 Smoky 1 wrote:

I the T win. worth more than one without the T,? Is the Underwood S worth more than without S.?
 Thanks for the info.
 Smoky

Smoky, Short answer is yes to both, but that may just be my opinion. I personally would pay more for sub-contracted receiver carbines in order to build on my collection with the different variants per each manufacturer.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Bubba-7 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bubba-7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2019 at 7:11pm
Union Shoe Underwood receivers are the hardest Underwood subcontract carbines to find and would bring a $100 to $200 additional price for some one wanting one, over a equal condition carbine.
Winchester T receivers are also hard to find, and being a Winchester, the T would add $200 to $500 over an equal condition Winchester.  Your Winchester assuming all Winchester would sell for $ 2,500 to $ 3,000 on GB.  Or maybe more, in my humble opinion.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2019 at 9:08am
There's one on GB now with no reserve, that is if you consider over 1100 opening bid 'no reserve'. It's in an folding stock and we'll see if anyone bites on it. To me a mix-master T code receiver isn't very coveted. A substantially original one in splendid condition would be interesting.
 Post Reply Post Reply