The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MY IBM M1 CARBINE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2019 at 8:41pm
David B from Texas had/has a RMC I felt 99.9% positive it was Cherry. It was a COM Rock-Ola.
https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=35247&page=2

A CMP member SKohler (sp?) Had/has a JL-B IIRC most all of us that commented thought was Birch (about a year or so ago). He decided it was it was Cherry. I still believe it was/is Birch

Safe Weekend All,
CH-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2020 at 1:59pm
There's a QRMC stock here that has to be Cherry. Finding it is an issue, but will try to remember to post an image of it. It's tigered, redish and gorgeous. There are some purple looking stocks here but probably RSG made. They don't look like Walnut. The only BR B stocks I have are outstanding looking Walnut ones. They made beautiful stocks.

Originally posted by Why Carbines? Why Carbines? wrote:

I have a ratty IBM with import mark under the barrel, a type one barrel band and the original flip sight still in place. I can't remember the importer, but it clearly escaped a complete rebuild.

I remember that odd import mark and it looked like MEDLEX  ALEX  VA or MEDLEY ALEX VA
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2020 at 9:00pm
Mike  Funny thing since I have no dog in this fight; When I saw the first picture of the rear sight, I immediately thought "Repro"! While my point count here doesn't reflect it, I've been around collecting for many years and some of these guys know me from way back and from sites no longer in existence. Painter gave you some valuable advise. Do a lot of homework. Study sights carefully. It is super easy to get hoodwinked by some of the repops these days. The reason we don't answer questions like how we spot the fakes is simple. The fakers are getting better all the time and we aren't going to publish on an open forum how we spot them. There is no sense in telling them how to improve their products. Originals are hard to find because so few are left. So treat all of them as suspect until you an be certain they are originals. Right off the top of my head, I saw at least 3 things that said repro. I didn't look any deeper. These guys have a wealth of knowledge and experience. Trust their judgement. BTW I'm usually at OGCA on Saturdays. I help at a table in the small alcove up around aisle D. Ask for Rich's table. I'll likely be somewhere around and can help out. I've been taken on several occasions, particularly when I was a beginning collector. I think most of us have.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
mikeurbas View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeurbas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2020 at 9:48pm
when i finally make an ogca show, i plan to take my carbine to hopefully get it authenticated and i will look you up. thanks, mike.
mike
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2020 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Smokpole Smokpole wrote:

I've been around collecting for many years and some of these guys know me from way back and from sites no longer in existence.

Can Confirm! 

So sad that all that information had to be lost.
A great wealth of information is also lost when Photobucket removed years and years of pictures on various sites.

Connor38 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connor38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2020 at 8:07pm
hello all, my first time posting on this forum. I’m also on CMP. Just thought I’d give my 2 cents. The rear sight looks incredibly similar to the fake one I bought from L&S supply years back when I was first bitten by the carbine bug. The one I bought was a square s sight, but the machining marks are exactly alike. Original rear sights imo are almost never that perfect.  

The only original rear sights I’ve seen with staking around the pin done so close to perfect were on IP rear sights.  One of them I bought from Rcycles45. 
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2020 at 8:14pm
Shhh. Wink sometimes people are just fishing for tips on IDing stuff so they can beat you out on an auction.
Welcome over here. That was an accurate first post.
Connor38 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connor38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2020 at 8:21pm
why thank you and thanks for the heads up! I got into the hobby, then pulled out to do homework before popping my head back up again. When I popped back in, I realized I still have a ton to learn. Carbines are not easy... but fun! 
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2020 at 8:24pm
They sure aren't easy. I'm lazy so learning is an every-week-something-else-is-new for me. Like most things people get to a comfort level and if you're 'winning' it's easy to just float along enjoying the ride.
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2020 at 8:26pm
The more you learn about carbines, the more you realize there is to learn! I've collected for 30 years and am only a beginner!

OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Connor38 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connor38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2020 at 8:27pm
Ahhhh right when I was starting to think that I’m always going to be a beginner! My suspicions seem to be confirmed! LOL
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2022 at 12:32am
Originally posted by mikeurbas mikeurbas wrote:

when i finally make an ogca show, i plan to take my carbine to hopefully get it authenticated and i will look you up. thanks, mike.

Wonder if he ever made it to a OGCA Show and received a knowledgeable carbine experts advice ?

Looking back, a few good pictures could have gave him the answers that he wasn't here to hear.

Sorry had to post after reading this again today.

Ch-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2022 at 8:09pm
I haven't missed many OGCA shows since then and I still hang out at the same table. I haven't seen him yet.

OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234