The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

M1A1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2019 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by 03eleven 03eleven wrote:

Well I paid the man today so I guess I'm in.

Congrats, now here is the thing, once you have 1 carbine you need more and more, and once you are really hooked, you will start selling or trading all your other guns for more carbines. They are fun to shoot and addictive to collect!
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2019 at 5:17am
Frank Derrico is the go to guy for carbine stock repairs, you can see a post of his here, sign up and send him a PM. He can make that m2 cutout vanish as well as other repairs to the stock.   https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=62458
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2019 at 7:47am
Frank is a member here as well. Just PM him
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=2119

Speaking of modified stocks. Here is the brother of yours. It need more immediate help from Frank then yours

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=243079
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2019 at 9:14am
Yesterday I saw an M1A1 forearm piece fashioned from a standard M1 stock. Interesting timing I know but it belongs to a friend who was curious what it was. Also it wasn't a high wood. Guess they needed one but didn't want to burn a high wood. It also didn't have the side relief area for the leather cheek piece. Shoulda got a pic of the extra hole, but if you see one you shouldn't be confused. It's dead center where the recoil plate screw goes through. M1A1 stocks shouldn't have a centered hole under the recoil.

Here's one of odd wood structure compared with the normal Walnut. Both are authentic.

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2019 at 9:17am
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Frank is a member here as well. Just PM him
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=2119

Speaking of modified stocks. Here is the brother of yours. It need more immediate help from Frank then yours

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=243079

Afraid there's little help for this one.

03eleven View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03eleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2019 at 10:07am
Semper Fi
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2019 at 10:18am
Definitely fake.

Kidding. Right between those two holes would be a 3rd if it was a standard stock cut down.

EDIT: Looks like you have the long wood type grip screw too. Seems I read that rebuilds got replaced with a short one like a butt plate screw. Think I remember that later ones were shorter by design? Someone will probably chime in for correction as needed.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2019 at 10:51am
Noticed what looks like a different lower hinge screw in previous pictures. Looked like it had a flat bottom vs. the rounded ones I'm used to seeing.

Also, inside the grip, where the spring goes, check and see if there is a little washer. It can be missed as sometimes, it is stuck inside. See the little red arrow in the middle of the photo below.

03eleven View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03eleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2019 at 2:25pm
I noticed the bottom screw in the grip was flat too but wasn't sure if that was correct or not compared to other pics I've seen. I know the stock operates much better now that it's been dis and reassd 👍
Semper Fi
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2019 at 5:02pm
Are we talking about the long wood screw?
MWO ORD B28-W4 20 March 1944 was to discard the 2 3/32 screw and replace with a new 2 3/4 screw.
This was to allow a commercial screw and prevent splitting of the grip.

It is in CCNL 379 and 384

the MWO was canceled 8 Nov 1945

The 1944 MWO superseded the Feild Service Work Order FSMWO B28-W2 4-Nov 1943
We do not have a copy of this. If anyone has one we sure would appreciate being able to check it out!
03eleven View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03eleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2019 at 5:19pm
I believe Tenn was referring to the long screw in the top, I was responding about the screw in the bottom being flat and not rounded.
Semper Fi
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2019 at 5:21pm
My comment was about the lower hinge screw that goes into the bottom of the pistol grip .vs the grip screw. Now that you mention the grip screw, the head of the lower hinge screw shown earlier reminds of the grip screw head.
03eleven View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 03eleven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2019 at 4:54pm
Sorry to beat this horse to death but I was on the CMP site and ran across this listed as "foreign wood". Just wondering if someone could educate me on the subject?

http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/detail.asp?id=48342&n=Inland-M1A1-Carbine-66308155
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2019 at 6:35pm
03eleven, I know that Greece had produced or had produced for them M1A1 stocks, I also know that at one time the CMP had Greek Returned Carbines, maybe the case here.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123