The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stock wood tear out. How are we fixing these?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2019 at 1:47pm
Here is the picture of the highwood repair on a stock that appears subsequently re-sanded exposing the one pin on the side.
I believe I have another as this is not the one I was thinking of.

jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2019 at 3:36pm
@ Dan. Those are tiny brass pins. That section is only about .125" thick on a Type 2 stock. The pins are only supposed to be .09375" Dia. leaving only a .0156" wall. That's a very fine repair.
JackP
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2019 at 3:34pm
Well, my attempt at gluing the crack on my M1a1 stock did not turn out perfect, but it sure looks better than it did.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2019 at 5:39pm
Ron Dalhamer shared some pictures from an M1a1 with pinned stock. Sold at a CMP auction for 2900 last June 2018. Look at the repair in the second picture. I have seen this type of repair before. It is basically a thick veneer. only half the thickness patched. Also look at the screw below recoil area

jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2019 at 6:20pm
This stock is for sale on Ebay. It has been repaired in a similar manner.

JackP
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2019 at 2:10pm
Just stumbled onto WB3 pg 1097
Notes on stock repair during overhaul:
When carbine stocks were overhauled, stocks were restored to serviceable condition by patching or other means of repair. Small dents and mutilations that did not affect strength or general appearance were sanded out. Chipped and deeply dented areas were repaired by cutting away damaged areas and gluing in a piece of matching wood. Whenever possible, the pieces were dovetailed in.............
............cracked stocks where strength was not affected were repaired with a brass screw. after installed the screws were cut flush with the surface of the stock

I believe some of the stock repair types were covered in a TM
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12