The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new member
    Posted: Feb 16 2019 at 10:31am
Hi everyone. As my subject indicates I am new to this forum and other than looking at other forums have never really posted on any. I recently acquired a 30 carbine rifle that I initially thought would be an M1 carbine. It mostly looks like one but is "sporterized". The receiver is marked inland with a 9 digit serial number starting with 673. The receiver appears to be that of an M1 Carbine but there is no dove tail to mount a rear site. It has a Williams Peep site that mounts to the side of the receiver. From what I was told the individual bought the rifle almost 30 years ago and only fired it twice. I was hoping to find some information on it and how to disassemble it for a thorough cleaning. It doesn't come apart like other carbines. At least not in the videos I was able to locate. If this isn't the right place to put this message please direct me to where it should be. Once I figure out how to post pictures I can include them. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can be.
Boomer1960 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2019 at 10:45am
If I did this right some images should be displayed

Left side view

Right side view

rear view rear site

side view rear site
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2019 at 10:47am
Right side view

Rear view rear sight

left side view rear sight
shadycon View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadycon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2019 at 1:33pm
Hi and welcome; are you sure the ser. # is 9 digits and not 7? Any markings on barrel and trigger frame and parts? GK
M1's are FUN!!!
TSMG's are more FUN!!!
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2019 at 4:24pm
Greeting and welcome to the club. Cool looking carbine. Looks like there's a band on the front of the stock. How is it held in place?
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2019 at 6:38pm
Your right its 7. Guess the coffee hadn't kicked in yet.   I'd post the actual serial number but not sure if that's something I should do with Big Brother watching everything these days. Thanks
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2019 at 6:42pm
From what I can tell there is a little "push button" on the underside you push and slide stuff (don't know the right name of the part yet ) off. Haven't been able to get that to work with out messing up the stock. Guns in beautiful shape for as old as its supposed to be. Don't want to bugger it up taking it apart the wrong way. Thanks for any help you can be. Here is a picture of the push button.

floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2019 at 6:50pm
I would guess maybe a detent button to allow the band to be removed over the nose of the stock....maybe?
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2019 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

I would guess maybe a detent button to allow the band to be removed over the nose of the stock....maybe?

That was my thought also. Everything seems way too tight and I already nicked the stock up a bit in that area. Couldn't find anything online about it. It sort of looks like the ones that were imported by from Howa in Japan. No rear site groove and the band doesn't come of like those seem too.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2019 at 7:11pm
Push the rear of handguard with thumb while depressing button. The handguard will push band more evenly.

Check your front ring. Think it's a handstamp inland. By that I mean the 1 in M1 was stamped separatly
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2019 at 1:08pm
I’ll give that a try. Thanks!
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomer1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2019 at 7:55pm
Thanks everyone for your help. I did get the gun apart. It hadn't been apart for 30 year, if ever, and needed a little penetrating oil and light tapping with a brass punch and hammer to get the band moving. I'm in the process of cleaning it up and was wondering if there was a better place to post pictures and any stampings on the parts? It probably doesn't belong under new members. From what I can tell there is nothing on this model on the web. I did put 100 rounds through it before taking it apart. Sweet little shooter. Got to get me a real one sometime soon.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2019 at 8:51pm
Carbine of the collectors section would be appropriate.

I have seen a few carbines with rear sight mound removed a few times.
There was a time that sportsterizing your carbine was the thing to do. There is a book with a chapter on ideas of what to do.

Do not forget a front ring picture
 Post Reply Post Reply