The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New guy, Fixing up a Plainfield

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goatgruff13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New guy, Fixing up a Plainfield
    Posted: Feb 16 2019 at 10:14am

Hello,

I got this 70's Plainfield M1 Carbine from a friend of my dad's years ago. He was in the earlier years of Vietnam in the Marine Corps as a sniper spotter, and used and loved the M1 Carbine. So he eventually bought himself one. He became ill with cancer later in his life, but would still come down to my parent's property in Northern Arkansas a lot to hang out and inevitably do some shooting. He brought this with him on one of our trips down there and I fell in love with the thing. As his illness got worse he ended up giving it to me. which was awesome and an honor. He passed away a few years back, but my father and I still shoot it every time I go down there.

She's a great little shooter, and has zero outward problems. I've only done basic field strips and cleanings though, and haven't had the chance to take apart and really check out everything. There are some failure to feeds from time to time, but I'm almost positive that's because the mags I have are ancient and kind of junky.

I'm now about to order some things to fix her up a little (mags and springs and such). I'm not sure if this introduction post is the place to get into what I want to do and where to ask questions - So I'll probably get into that in another thread. I just wanted to introduce myself and show you guys the carbine and touch on what I'm getting into. I'm sure I'll have questions as I get into it, and I'll post updates and photos of when I get into it.

Looking forward to chatting with you all and hopefully learning some things!
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2019 at 2:42pm
Welcome aboard. The Plainfield is generally considered one of the better commercial carbines and parts are interchangeable with authentic USGI carbines.
Boomer1960 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Boomer1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2019 at 6:45pm
Nice rile!!!
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2019 at 7:57pm
HI and welcome to the Carbine Collectors Forum from New Mexico!

If you haven't already discovered it, here's a link to some info about Plainfields.

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_plainfield.html
JackP
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2019 at 8:53am
Welcome to the forum.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2019 at 8:52am
Your carbine looks nice.

Welcome Aboard!
Semper Fi, Bruce
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2019 at 6:45am
Goatgruff13, welcome to the forum. It sounds like you are off to ta great time with your new to you Plainfield. There are many sources for parts and springs. I am not sure of the best source, but I purchased springs and parts from Fulton Armory, as I heard they have a decent reputation.

One tip regarding your 30rd mag. While they are easy to disassemble and clean, be certain that you replace the spring correctly. The mag will not feed reliably if the spring is reversed. Unlike many mags you may be familiar with, the springs highest coil fits under the rear end of the follower (and not under the projectile end)! Further the 15rd mags tend to feed more reliably. Do your shake down testing with a 15rd mag.   
 Post Reply Post Reply

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image