Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New member - 1st Carbine - Opinions?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Clayton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member - 1st Carbine - Opinions?
    Posted: Feb 15 2019 at 9:28pm
The following pictures are an Inland I just bought. I'm no expert, so I used the information on this site and other books to check this gun out before buying, but I'm still not sure what I have.

The receiver number is 694672, which I believe is the first Inland production run. I'm guessing 1st quarter 1943. The barrel is dated 8/43. All the parts seem to be correct. The stock shows no sign of refinishing or re-arsenal. The circled P is intact with the cross cannon. No re-arsenal stamps.

The hammer is a newer type but has the correct stamp. I'm most interested in if the finish is original.

I'm hoping the experts can give me opinions as to what I have. I have several pictures and not sure how to get them on the first post, so I'll post replies with pictures only. Thanks.

If you always do what you have always done, you'll always get what you always got.
J Clayton View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Clayton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2019 at 9:28pm

J Clayton View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Clayton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2019 at 9:30pm
If you always do what you have always done, you'll always get what you always got.
J Clayton View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Clayton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2019 at 9:30pm
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 15 2019 at 10:16pm
Thanks for posting, and welcome!

Do you have any full profile photos of this Carbine? The more photos, the better. Folks will also want to see closeups of the flip sight, from the left and right sides, in particular.

Thanks!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
J Clayton View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Clayton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2019 at 12:50am
I've got several photos, but not having much luck posting them. I'll figure it out. I'd like an honest appraisal of the gun. I think it was a good purchase.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 16 2019 at 4:21pm
Welcome to the club.

Editing and uploading pictures can be a little tricky, but it's a convenient way to share pictures without having to use third party software.

Some tips can be found here:

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/registration-help-rules-tutorials-new-member-introductions_forum11.html

For posting multiple pictures at once, I usually build them manually with BBCODES as I find it faster than selecting them one at a time. You'll need the names of the uploaded pictures and your user number. Not sure how to find your user number other than looking in the URL link after selecting a picture for insertion. Perhaps others know a better way?

If you can find that information, the BBCODE format for inserting pictures is:

[IMG]uploads/USERNUMBER/FULL_PICTURE_NAME[/IMG]

Suppose my userid is 123456 and my images are named, IMG1.JPG, IMG2.JPG, IMG3.JPG and IMG4.JPG. I could build my own BBCODE and insert them directly into a post. You can even add text in between the images as shown below:

Text 1
[IMG]uploads/123456/IMG1.JPG[/IMG]

Text 2
[IMG]uploads/123456/IMG2.JPG[/IMG]

Text 31
Text 32
[IMG]uploads/123456/IMG3.JPG[/IMG]

Text 4
[IMG]uploads/123456/IMG4.JPG[/IMG]
J Clayton View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Clayton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2019 at 11:55am
I must say that I'm pretty frustrated with this process of getting pictures on my post. I've even had it lock up my computer a few times. I've about given up. I think there is a chance I may have a special carbine and would like to share pictures to get opinions, but no luck so far. I would also like to fill out the form and submit. Any further help would be appreciated.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2019 at 1:07pm
J Clayton,

If you would like to send me your photos at my e-mail address below, I will get them posted here for you.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
J Clayton View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Clayton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2019 at 3:18pm
Thanks David. Lupus Dei added several pictures to my original post above. I have more. I think I can add them to my file manager. I'm not sure what is included in full profile pictures. Is there a list somewhere? This post might be getting old at this point. Should I repost with all the pictures or will this post be seen by those that can tell me what I have?

Also, do you know where I can get a bolt tool at a reasonable price? I would like to see what is in the bolt. I want to finish the data sheet and send in.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2019 at 3:30pm
J Clayton,

You can find many bolt tools on eBay. I'm not sure what you mean by "what is included in full profile pictures." Are you talking about photos that have not been resized? There are size restrictions on photos here in the forum. If you have trouble posting any that are larger, you can send them to me, and I can get them posted.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2019 at 4:25pm
It looks like you have a nice early Inland. The finish looks original to me. So far, I don't see anything that doesn't belong except maybe for the safety. I would have expected a Type 2 for that SN. Any markings on the barrel band?    Also, need to see closeups of the flip sight and receiver staking.
JackP
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2019 at 5:35pm
The safety is probably correct, but I wonder about the hammer just a bit. I'd say it's okay though.
J Clayton View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Clayton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2019 at 6:57pm
Flip Sight

J Clayton View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Clayton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2019 at 6:59pm
J Clayton View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Clayton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2019 at 6:59pm
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2019 at 7:24pm
Here are additional images from member J Clayton:

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
J Clayton View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J Clayton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2019 at 7:37pm
I appreciate that David.

I'm trying to find out if this gun is original or at least mostly original. Any opinions on the matter will be appreciated. Let me know if there are any other pictures anyone would like to see. 
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2019 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by J Clayton J Clayton wrote:

I appreciate that David.

I'm trying to find out if this gun is original or at least mostly original. Any opinions on the matter will be appreciated. Let me know if there are any other pictures anyone would like to see. 

It certainly looks original for the time period. Btw, I've had so many six digit Inland carbines that I literally have lost count. My favorite is a 829XXX with Saginaw receiver.
 Post Reply Post Reply