Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rock-Ola

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rock-Ola
    Posted: Feb 08 2019 at 11:11pm
When I bought my Rock-Ola at a CMP auction last year, it had a Type V SA pot-belly stock that was put on it during the post-war rebuild.  It is a nice stock, but I also wanted an original Rock-Ola stock from WWII to complement my Rock-Ola receiver/barrel.

I located and purchased a spare Rock-Ola Type I stock last year.  Also, I recently found a nice butt plate to fit the Rock-Ola stock.  The Rock stock was pretty dirty when I bought it, so I gave the stock a good cleaning with a mixture of linseed oil and turpentine. It came out looking pretty good...IMHO.

I will use the SA pot-belly stock when I go to the shooting range, and use the "new" Rock-Ola stock for display. Here are a couple pictures of my Rock with the "new" Rock-Ola Type I stock.  Note that it has been cut down to "low wood" at some time in its past.

Semper Fi, Bruce
Rcycles45 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rcycles45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2019 at 8:01am
Nice looking Rock-ola . What is the serial number range ? Looks like your stock has a Inland acceptance stamp , I suspect that Your slingwell would be marked RMC I ?
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2019 at 8:50am
Originally posted by Rcycles45 Rcycles45 wrote:

Nice looking Rock-ola . What is the serial number range ? Looks like your stock has a Inland acceptance stamp , I suspect that Your slingwell would be marked RMC I ?

Good eye my friend!

It is a Rock-Ola stock made for Inland.  There is a faint RMC I mark in the sling well, but it is very hard to photograph with my iPhone.  My Rock is in the 1704XXX serial number range.

When I bought the Rock at a CMP auction, it came with a very nice SA Type V "pot belly" stock.  My Rock went through a post-war rebuild because it has a replacement barrel band w/bayonet lug, the adjustable rear sight, updated parts in the bolt, rotory safety and some updates in the trigger housing.  The pot belly stock has the Standard Products rebuild mark.

I actually prefer the pot belly stock when I target shoot.  It is beefier and allows me a better grip.  But, I personally prefer the look of the Type I, II or III stocks.

You may also notice that my Type I stock (pictured above) has had the high wood area removed to give it the low wood look.  The experts will know better than me, but I believe all Type I stocks were originally high wood.
Semper Fi, Bruce
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2019 at 12:02pm
Good looking stock, Bruce. And yes you are correct that all type I as well as type II stocks were originally high wood.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2019 at 1:08pm
Thanks Wayne.

Believe it or not, I am finally learning things about my carbines from this forum. Smile
Semper Fi, Bruce
 Post Reply Post Reply