Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Backward Flip Sights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2019 at 9:14am
Yes the flip can be removed and reversed without removing the base.
M1carvine4me View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1carvine4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2019 at 9:27am
Here is another perspective that I do not know if was brought up. Could the flipping of the sight "backwards vs forwards" just be a personal preference of the shooter? Just like all the options for sights on current issue rifles.

Sometimes people have different backgrounds in shooting,  this also would explain the removed front sight ears, "v" notched rear sights etc. It would be way earlier to modify the rifle to your shooting preferences then to retrain someone with a decade of experience. 

I had an m1 that had the ears trimmed and the taller rear flip sight v notched .. I thought it was bubba's handiwork. Until I found out the gun was a bring back and was done during the war. Granted I was told the guy cought sh*t about what he did. But was marksman qualified with the carbine. The guy leaned to shoot with those types if sights and it just came naturally I would guess. I only sold it back to the family a few years later because the person I got it from didn't know what the family history was. 

Yea cant be an asshole all the time
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2019 at 10:09am
Grendl View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grendl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2019 at 11:57am
Thanks for the answer, I assume one would use a punch since a specialized pin pushing tool wouldn't normally be necessary?

Doesn't matter in my case, I just looked and apparently the flip sight was installed backwards as the S is on the right side :-(
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12