Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Real Flip?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Real Flip?
    Posted: Jan 27 2019 at 8:15pm
Can anyone tell from the pics if the flip sites this person is selling are legit or not? Here is one of them. Thanks.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2019 at 10:15pm
There are no real USGI flips on ebay currently. Not by hoghunters, hotrods, janas, lotas etc., though sellers are frequently mouthy when you tell them they're selling reproductions.
eestes View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2019 at 10:27pm
Thank you. I am glad I checked first. Thought this might be the case.
InlandHunter View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InlandHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2019 at 7:04pm
Not certain if it's applicable, but eBay takes a very dim view of misrepresented, counterfeit items. I had an experience and was pleased with the speed and effectiveness it was handled, including a full refund and terminating seller's account.
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2019 at 7:19pm
Watched this one from December which I'm fairly certain is real, for comparison. If it's fake I give up :)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-GI-M1-Carbine-Rear-Flip-Sight-Marked-BR-for-ROCKOLA-/123575282988?oid=264043637906
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2019 at 9:30pm
I'm gonna vote capital NO on the BR flip.

As a wise man once told me, it's a catch 22. This probably applies to more than just flip sights, but:
To know one, you must have one.
To have one, you must know.
But once you have one and know, you'll never forget.

My approach was not to find real one since most aren't. Instead, it was to find fake ones since they are so plentiful. Eventually I ran into one that looked very different. Reached out to others (big thanks to them) and they helped verify. Still make mistakes, but try to get better with each one I find. Since I don't know how to identify all flips sights, I find that I tend to stick with ones I know or at least think I know.

So much to learn.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2019 at 5:15am
Is it just me or is there an uncanny resemblance between all the flips this seller has listed?  Reminds me of the set of multiple mfg oilers that all had identical knurled caps sold on an auction site.  
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2019 at 6:55am
Originally posted by m1a1fan m1a1fan wrote:

As a wise man once told me, it's a catch 22. This probably applies to more than just flip sights, but:

My approach was not to find real one since most aren't. Instead, it was to find fake ones since they are so plentiful. Eventually I ran into one that looked very different. Reached out to others (big thanks to them) and they helped verify. Still make mistakes, but try to get better with each one I find. Since I don't know how to identify all flips sights, I find that I tend to stick with ones I know or at least think I know.

So much to learn.

You mean the link I posted? Be sure to look at the right pics, since its an expired auction you have to check original item (item # 264043637906) OPs sight shows as available on the page for me as well, that one is fake for sure.

If it's a fake it's better than most. Unfortunately, don't own any original Rock-Ola carbines to compare. I have some pictures somewhere but I didn't cross reference since I wasn't bidding.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2019 at 8:40am
I was referring to the OP.  To be honest, I have yet to figure out the idiosyncrasies of real vs fake parts.  I don't feel too bad after reading how some of the more experienced members have been down this road and aren't quite to the end yet. This is one reason I haven't tried to "correct" any of my carbines more than I received them. 
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2019 at 10:14am
Originally posted by sling00 sling00 wrote:

Is it just me or is there an uncanny resemblance between all the flips this seller has listed?  Reminds me of the set of multiple mfg oilers that all had identical knurled caps sold on an auction site.  

Yep, they all look the same just different markings. Reminds me of the Carbines a certain seller from Alabama sells on Gun Broker.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2019 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by GotSnlB28 GotSnlB28 wrote:

Originally posted by m1a1fan m1a1fan wrote:

So much to learn.

You mean the link I posted? Be sure to look at the right pics, since its an expired auction you have to check original item (item # 264043637906) OPs sight shows as available on the page for me as well, that one is fake for sure.

If it's a fake it's better than most. Unfortunately, don't own any original Rock-Ola carbines to compare. I have some pictures somewhere but I didn't cross reference since I wasn't bidding.

Yup, I was looking at the wrong one. Not sure if the eBay one is real or not, but here is another for comparison and to hopefully kick off a discussion.

eestes View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2019 at 7:00pm
I don't see your pic m1a1fan. I would love to learn more about this.
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2019 at 9:31pm
pics from my earlier post.

Edited by GotSnlB28 - Dec 12 2020 at 5:53pm
Rcycles45 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rcycles45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2019 at 7:47am
Originally posted by GotSnlB28 GotSnlB28 wrote:

pics from my earlier post.

uploads/2027/BR-1.jpg
uploads/2027/BR-2.jpg
uploads/2027/BR-3.jpg
uploads/2027/BR-4.jpg
uploads/2027/BR-7.jpg
uploads/2027/BR-8.jpg

This is a good example of a real Rock-ola BR flip .
 Post Reply Post Reply