The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rear flip sight. Someone said this wasn't USGI?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2019 at 1:59pm
No, but it wouldn't change the outcome. I wasn't wrong.
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2019 at 2:36pm
What is everyone's thought on this sight, Inland marked WI on low flip.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2019 at 3:05pm
Looking good so far. caveat: I almost never look at the scripting. I don't study it, unless there's a reason I want to look closer, so it's never something committed to memory.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2019 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by tenOCEE tenOCEE wrote:

No, but it wouldn't change the outcome. I wasn't wrong.

Just asked if you'd ever weighed Flip sights as a method of comparison.
Your reply noted.

CH-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2019 at 7:39am
I couldn't figure out if you were serious or not, having looked at it in every possible way as I was trying to prove it was fake.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2019 at 9:52am
If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck is it a duck?
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2020 at 9:36am
Note that the milling on this subject oddball sight is nothing like the fakes that Anthony Pucci of Orion has been knowingly selling as real while having been told they are L&S Supply reproductions.

But revisting this specific sight, the milling on the sight in question is straight up Jasper Blackburn. Dead on for about any B-IP or BR sight you pick up. What it was used on will be the question on my mind. I'm not claiming it was part of the serifs placed on Winchesters or Inlands during that period of usage. But that isn't the only usage of serif S. I have an IBM sight with serif S. IBM as we know was not produced anywhere near the time of Win and Inland serif S.

Or perhaps this one was an unmarked sight someone added the serif S to, which could also have been a transfer base sent to a maker for assembly when it was stamped? I know I've witness odd placements of the S on sight parts that were sent to makers who assembled them. When those were struck is out of my realm. After removing this one I hammered the base back square and straight.

Charlie I've found a decent drug dealer's scale in a junkyard car glove compartment that I use to weigh my espresso beans now. I'll try 10 or so rear sights in the near term to check weights.
My sig: Seen an IP or S'G'? Add it to my registry. We'll check consecutives.
https://grandrapids.wufoo.com/forms/zzlnt0519k86xs/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234