Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Other Wartime Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Removing Park

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2019 at 12:23pm
I forgot to post a couple of pictures I took during my procedure.  

This picture shows the Naval Jelly at work on several of the parkerized parts including the safety.  I could actually see small bubbles forming on the surface of the parts as the Naval Jelly did its magic.  As I said earlier, I only let the parts soak in the jelly for about 10 minutes.

This one I took during the disassembly.  You can see that the hammer, hammer spring, housing and plunger are in very good condition.  To the left, you can also see the trigger housing caked with grease.  I did a through cleaning and then applied fresh grease and oil to the recommended locations.
Semper Fi, Bruce
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2019 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by BER911 BER911 wrote:

My issue is the park is new and I can actually see it causing parts to bind.

I was able to find a very similar thread like yours posted on Milsurps.
Replies mention making sure the M1 is cocked before trying to set the safety.
Check or replace the safety with another, to double check if bent.
One mentions: " Check the hammer spring housing. Normally if the safety is not really bent from trying to apply the safety to an uncocked rifle the hammer spring housing is in backwards."

There is more you should read along with a few links included that show where and how to polish some edges.

Just bought my first M1 and the safety is STIFF as all get out.

Safety Smoothing Info:

HTH,
Charlie-Painter777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 21 2019 at 9:57pm
Thanks Charlie for these links.  My safety is not bent and I can feel no burrs in the hook area.  I am working the safety on and off about 50 times each day and it is beginning to loosen up.

Semper Fi, Bruce
Dnikkor View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dnikkor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2019 at 2:02pm
FWIW, Naval Jelly did a great job removing the "Greek" from my 10" PAL Garand bayonet I got from the CMP back when they had them. It left a real nice finish that is common for non-Greek-finished bayonets.
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2019 at 8:54am
Originally posted by Dnikkor Dnikkor wrote:

FWIW, Naval Jelly did a great job removing the "Greek" from my 10" PAL Garand bayonet I got from the CMP back when they had them. It left a real nice finish that is common for non-Greek-finished bayonets.

Thanks for the input.  I agree that the naval jelly leaves a nice surface after it is removed.
Semper Fi, Bruce
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12