Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Fun Stuff
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who made Dock and Mooring parts?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who made Dock and Mooring parts?
    Posted: Jan 06 2019 at 7:57pm
What contractor, Prime or Sub, made dock bumpers and mooring parts?

And while we are on boating, Same question, Who went on to make boat windshields?

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2019 at 9:47pm
I say (guess) Standard Products for the dock parts. No idea on the boat windshields.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
LMTmonoMan View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMTmonoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2019 at 10:08pm
Now that another member said my guess, I'm weakishly second Wayne's Standard Product answer.  A bit of searching shows they had a background for it.

They seemed to also have made something for auto glass windshields, so I'll guess them again for the second part. 
Time2Reload View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time2Reload Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2019 at 4:10pm
I'll take a stab...

From the War Baby introductions, I'd say that Inland could be a candidate for the dock and mooring products and Standard Products could be a candidate for making boat windshields.

I tried scanning the sub-contractor lists - looking for clues - bug then my eyes got buggy. I didn't see any "Jim's Dock and Mooring Products of Grand Rapids Mi.", but there are plenty of docks in Michigan for a Michigan company to outfit.

Great question to get us thinking....

Any hints ?
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2019 at 6:13pm
I believe it would be Standard Products.

Standard Products / StanPro makes dock bumper guards, mooring tack, angle channel, weatherstrip and many other things.
Now called Cooper Standard headquartered 45 minutes from me in Novi, MI.
I'm not aware of them currently making Windshields, but maybe years earlier.
I do know you can buy their Channel to make your own.

Living Free because of those that serve.....
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2019 at 1:15pm
I guess this one was just too easy for you cabine-o-holics.

I am surprised more did not have more answers in the Underwood fun stuff post as to what they made given the resources some have on hand....

Time2Reload View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time2Reload Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2019 at 1:57pm
Wow that's great information on Standard Projects lineage.

I'll have to keep a closer lookout for the Fun Stuff posts - that was fun.
LMTmonoMan View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMTmonoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2019 at 2:17pm
Very cool. These threads teach me just how dynamic, talented, and capable many of the contractors like Standard Products were. I'm just amazed that these contractors were tooled up to make typewriters, jukeboxes, cars parts, etc., and then just started making one of the greatest war rifles in history almost at the blink of the eye.

Post Reply Post Reply