Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > For Sale > Wanted+
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WTB Inland Paratrooper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJH1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WTB Inland Paratrooper
    Posted: Dec 22 2018 at 10:01pm
I'm new to the site and am looking to buy an Inland Paratrooper any suggestions or opportunities would be appreciated - I'm still trying to navigate the site as well.
WJH
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2018 at 5:41am
Welcome to the forum.  I see you've posted in Buying Your First Carbine.  As you can see there's a great bunch of knowledgeable folks here to help you in your endeavor and again welcome.
old59porsche View Drop Down
On Point
On Point
RIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote old59porsche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2018 at 8:17am
Have you decided if you want an early highwood version or a latter type 2 variation, or just an Inland in a M1A1 stock? A big part of that decision is, how much are you prepared to spend. Prices can range from $4k for a correct early gun to about $1k for a non-import shooter Inland in a repro stock.
Retired Army Guy
On Point
On Point
RIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old59porsche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2018 at 4:44pm
Retired Army Guy
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2018 at 4:52pm
Photobucket is not what it used to be. Angry  Thats why I just upload photos.

Link requires a password; at least for me it does.

Semper Fi, Bruce
WJH1958 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJH1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2018 at 10:22pm
I'm open for suggestions on what type to buy - would like to be around $2500
WJH
LMTmonoMan View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LMTmonoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2018 at 12:19am
I say I'm in the market for an Arsenal rebuild, but the more I look at them, the more I realize that I couldn't really feel comfortable shooting a $3k rifle that is quite fragile.

I've seen a dozen or so over the last 6 months or so, and the cheapest one I've found was a CMP Arsenal rebuild for $2800.  Most start at $3k.  These are all arsenal rebuilds at best, at worse pieced together by civilians and passed off as an unmolested arsenal rebuilt one.  

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't mess with M1A1s until I really, really studied them.  USGI M1 carbines are hard enough.     
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2018 at 12:53am
Kudos, you're on  the right track asking questions and learning before jumping in. For 2.5k, you should be able to find an arsenal or perhaps even a CMP  paratrooper. The CMP site stores old auctions and you can look them up under the "Completed" tab here:

http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/catalog.asp?catid=363&n=M1-Carbine&view=&show=closed

The tough part is learning the difference between the different types. Once the type is identified, it's about condition. M1A1's are susceptible to cracking. Typical crack locations are on the rear of the stock, Forward either site of the recoil plate and on the stock's underside. I've shot mine one and will never do so again. One could easily find a repop or commercial stock and dump the action in it to shoot. The leather usually doesn't hold up very well.

Other things to look for:

The leather usually doesn't hold up very well and sometimes, you'll see it and the rivets replaced. Sometimes, restorations use old purse leather and commonly available rivets off the internet.
The butt plate drawing number should be hard to read.

Here's a primer with more info about M1A1's.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/modelM1A1.html

WJH1958 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJH1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2018 at 12:26pm
There was an Inland Paratrooper #4339 from CMP auction that went for $9201.00 what might be the story on this gun for that price?  
WJH
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2018 at 12:45pm
Not sure.

CMP prices are usually pretty crazy. If I remember correctly,, none of the CMP returned M1A1’s were in original condition.

Since I started collecting, the CMP had sold some really nice paratroopers. My favorites are the ones drenched in cosmoline.

On Point
On Point
RIP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old59porsche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2018 at 1:41pm
There are a lot of folks out there that think items coming from the CMP adds value. The old timers can remember when the CMP was selling barreled receivers many of which are now being "restored to near perfect" condition. Old Riverside out West and  Ron in the cold North have made fortunes selling fake parts for these "restorations".
Retired Army Guy
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2018 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by WJH1958 WJH1958 wrote:

There was an Inland Paratrooper #4339 from CMP auction that went for $9201.00 what might be the story on this gun for that price?  

Most likely just a bidding war between some guys with deep pockets having a competition to see who could donate the most money to the CMP that day.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2018 at 8:13am
"Most likely just a bidding war between some guys with deep pockets having a competition to see who could donate the most money to the CMP that day."

"Irrational exuberance" also comes to mind. Wacko
Semper Fi, Bruce
jeepwm69 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jeepwm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2018 at 12:04pm
I just bought an Inland a few weeks ago at a pawn shop and slapped it into a repop M1A1 stock I've had for years.  It is perfect for a shooter (which is why I wanted it) and I bought a USGI stock from "what a country" to swap on as well.

If you want it to shoot, find an Inland carbine and get a repop M1A1 stock.  If you want original, be VERY careful what you buy. 
WJH1958 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJH1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2018 at 10:53pm
Great info i've been introduced to a lot of new sites since joining
WJH
ssjtristan View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ssjtristan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2018 at 10:01pm
https://hibid.com/lot/47175878/wwii-1943-inland-30-caliber-m1-paratrooper-carbine?miles=50&zip=&q=m1+carbine&g=true&filter=&status=

Hibid auctions has an auction coming up with a paratroop carbine. Take a look if you wish.

Cheers
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 27 2018 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by ssjtristan ssjtristan wrote:

https://hibid.com/lot/47175878/wwii-1943-inland-30-caliber-m1-paratrooper-carbine?miles=50&zip=&q=m1+carbine&g=true&filter=&status=

Hibid auctions has an auction coming up with a paratroop carbine. Take a look if you wish.

Cheers

I do not believe that to be a usgi stock.
Interesting mark on the bevel
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2018 at 11:45am
Make some contacts at local shows with people who set up at them. Let them know you're looking. I got from one of these people who picked it up at a show 2 hrs away and sold me the stock because it was on an Underwood. Before I got that one and before I knew how to evaluate a real one myself, a complete one was at our shows for 1350 and nobody bought it for 2 shows. I waited, crammed for verification clues and never saw it again. Eventually one walked in our local show and I was the 2nd to spot and handle it. Highwood with an all original early dogleg action, but not original to that stock. Stock had type II band marks, some cracks and fake hinge, but price was very good.
 Post Reply Post Reply