The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trigger Group

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trigger Group
    Posted: Dec 15 2018 at 5:41pm
I finally got some time to disassemble, inspect, clean and reassemble the Trigger Group's of my two carbines.  I followed the steps in the norwich93CMP video that is linked on this forum.  Before tearing the trigger group down, I carefully visualized what each component was doing and how it operated.  Doing that helped me a lot on reassembly and ensured all the parts were in their proper position.

Disassembly was very straight forward.  As I removed the various parts, I sat them in a magnetic dish so that none of them "escaped".  On reassembly, the only issue I had was getting the hammer spring reinstalled.  It is a bit tricky, but I took my time and maintained patience and I eventually got it seated properly.  

The data (types, marks, etc) for my NPM Bavaria carbine was passed on to Jim, so he could add it to my Armory page.  That data has now been added to my carbine's description.

http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/carbineAGO_0112.html

The NPM's trigger group was fairly clean, so there was not much to do other that record all the types, marks and some other misc, stuff.

The Rock-Ola was another story.  It was dirty; after disassembly I soaked all the parts in some Hoppes and scrubbed them with an old toothbrush.  It was difficult reading all the marks on the Rock's parts because at some point someone parkerized all the trigger group parts (except springs).  There was a small mark on the left side of the Type III hammer, but I was unable to determine what it was.

As I reassembled the Rock's trigger group, I added a drop or two of oil to all the "metal to metal" contact points.  I just wish the parts did not have the park finish.

Here's a couple pics of the Rock's trigger housing and parts after cleaning.  The housing appears to be an Underwood Type IV; it is marked with a .U. at the top rear of the magazine well and has a small Ordnance Bomb on the bottom of the trigger guard.

Now I need to update my Data Sheets for these two carbines because I had left the trigger data blank.
Semper Fi, Bruce
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2018 at 6:34pm
Nicely done. The hammer spring can be a pain, but with practice it usually is relatively simple to get back together. I've seen a few trigger housings without the hammer spring recess and they are a giant pain to get back together.

A friend made me a simliar magnetic dish for me and I use it all the time. Very handy to keep track of small parts.

Also...nice carbines.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2018 at 8:54pm
Some commercial carbines have a hammer spring plunger with no hole in the end. Then it becomes a real challenge.
JackP
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2018 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by jackp1028 jackp1028 wrote:

Some commercial carbines have a hammer spring plunger with no hole in the end. Then it becomes a real challenge.

Agree!  Hopefully the hammer spring is weak. Wink

Semper Fi, Bruce
 Post Reply Post Reply