Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > For Sale > Wanted+
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rear Sight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven.g.roest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear Sight
    Posted: Dec 14 2018 at 9:51am
I am looking for a rear sight for my Dads Inland division carbine.  Barrel stamp 12-42, if I read correctly the serial number for this carbine's parts list would indicate type I rear sight.  I guess it doesn't matter what type because it looks like the only thing matching on the rifle is the barrel and upper receiver.  He had gone to a gun shop and ordered an adjustable sight for the rifle but it wouldn't mount.  The lower bracket on the sight was too small for the rifle and would slip through easily. As you can see the first picture the top of the carbine for the sight and in the second picture is the sight he ordered.  Any leads or pointing me the direction to purchase one would be greatly appreciated.   

bonnie View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2018 at 11:56am
You need an original USGI M1 carbine rear sight.

Your picture is of a new made commercial copy.

There are a number of ebay sellers that have the original rear sights for sale. I bought one and am satisfied.

A member here may also have one for sale.
steven.g.roest View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven.g.roest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2018 at 12:02pm
Thanks for the input.  I am headed to a gun show this weekend in Memphis, hopefully I can come across one.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2018 at 12:31pm
No adjustable stake marks; now that gives you another option if you can find an original type one flip sight. Of course you can put in an adjustable and not stake into place. It's good to have options!
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven.g.roest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2018 at 12:59pm
Thanks,
To educate myself what do you mean by "no adjustable stake marks"?  I also found an adjustable rear sight online.  what does the JAO marked mean? 

M1 Carbine, Rear sight. JAO Marked. USGI......type-3 rear sight marked JAO and the number 7160060
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven.g.roest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2018 at 1:11pm
on EBAY I found a flip sight bidding at $112 and there are 11 bids on it.  By the description I cut and pasted what does this tell me?  What should someone expect to pay for this if it were the real deal and not a newer knock off manufactured replica?   

This is an Underwood-made flip rear sight for an M1 carbine of ww2 vintage. The flip sight is marked with ".U." (see photos). The base has a tiny "S" on one side. The sight has some honest wear from use, but has not been refinished (ie is in original, used phosfated finish). Please see the images. 
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2018 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by steven.g.roest steven.g.roest wrote:

Thanks,
To educate myself what do you mean by "no adjustable stake marks"?  I also found an adjustable rear sight online.  what does the JAO marked mean? 

M1 Carbine, Rear sight. JAO Marked. USGI......type-3 rear sight marked JAO and the number 7160060

JAO is just the manufacturer of the sight, J.A. Otterbein. As far as the adjustable sight stake mark, most adj sights were staked in place see pic below.

Edited by W5USMC - Jan 24 2023 at 11:32am
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2018 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by steven.g.roest steven.g.roest wrote:

Thanks,

For clarity, your dovetail appears to only have a "line" stake mark which would have been for a type one sight.
The picture Wayne posted, notice it is a round punch for an adjustable sight.
As pointed out by Why Carbines that your carbine is a good candidate for correcting or putting on a type one.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2018 at 8:16pm
The Commercial sight you bought looks like a Kensight.

A Underwood with .U. marked leaf Flip sight sold a few days ago with 4 bids, went for $187.50
The Sight you currently speak of is also a Underwood with .U. marked leaf. It has 35 'Watchers'.
Often Inland Flip sights seem more common and can sell for less......
But you know how that goes, if you need one, none are around. If you have one, you can find them every where.
Becareful these are so often listed as real when they are reproduction.
IMO... Best to list a WTB  ad and buy from members.
I'm in need of a .U. Leaf to replace one cut to a V notch. Was offered a beautiful complete .U. Flip sight at a fair price from a member here...... but nicer than I needed. I need a beat up near junk base with a intact .U. leaf.... or just a loose .U. leaf.

Reminds me of a small lot of loose bases I bought years ago (Sellers Junk Box). After wire brushing out the crud I found this one was marked inside:

The one pictured above is the far left one in the below picture:

Inlands in the 5 mil serial range have been found with Underwood Flip sights. I have one, Inland 5,061,238 with 3-44 dated barrel:
Underwood was known to supply both Flip Sight leafs and Bases to Inland.
Is it possible that bases made to be passed on were marked inside or on the bottom?
War Baby on page 358 states that Underwood supplied to Inland the following:
12-28-43......4000 Rear Sight Leafs
4-3-44.........5394 Rear Sight Leafs
4-3-44.........2233 Rear Sight Assemblies

Chisel stakes are on the right front and right rear edges of the receivers dovetails to keep the sights base snug. This picture will show you the right rear chisel stake (Left Rear while viewing Picture from a front on angle):

Take your time and look for a Inland Flip sight if a Restoration is your goal. But beware it can be very costly and hard to recover $$ out put. But in the mean time so you can get out there and shoot pick up a Type III Rear Adj like the JAO for $20 and slide it on.
JUST DON't STAKE it. For now you can Loc-Tite or shim it tight if still loose.
To Install or Remove a Rear Sight (ALL Types) With muzzle pointed away install the sight from right to left. To remove, push from left to the right.
This is because the leftside Dovetail opening narrows as you install left.
That's what the S on the flip sight stands for: Toward Small side.

I apologize if you knew most of this already.

Good Luck,
Charlie-Painter777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven.g.roest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2018 at 9:50am
Thank you painter777 that is some awesome info and pictures. 
jeepwm69 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepwm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2018 at 11:57am
 Post Reply Post Reply