Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

List of Info on Carbines

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thorval Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: List of Info on Carbines
    Posted: Dec 09 2018 at 5:48pm
Are there any lists available that show all the marks that were used on the parts of carbines and the maker of that part?
Thorval
Thorval
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2018 at 6:11pm
Welcome to the forum.

There are a various sources, but the ones I've found the most valuable are:

War Baby! by Larry Ruth
U.S. Carbine M1 Carbines, Wartime Production by Craig Riesch
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2018 at 6:35pm
Some of the sources you find may not be up to date and are sometimes disputed. The M1 Carbine knowlege base is somewhat of a work-in-progress, but right or wrong.....you will never be bored with the research. There are experts right here on this forum and they will tell you:

“Never say never......and always dosen’t mean always with the M1 Carbine.”
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2018 at 5:00am
I too would like to welcome you to the forum.  Great place to get help on your carbine questions. 
I agree ...
Originally posted by m1a1fan m1a1fan wrote:

War Baby! by Larry Ruth

And as an example of what floydthecat is saying, I've written a few notes in my Riesch book to reflect the latest info.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2018 at 6:40am

This site can be used for entertainment purposes and it's free. It is considered to be incorrect as much of the data has been copied from out-dated sources, but it's fun to poke-around on. For the novice wondering where to start, it may be useful. Just never use it to prove a point or restore/document a carbine.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2018 at 11:48am
Originally posted by sling00 sling00 wrote:

I too would like to welcome you to the forum.  Great place to get help on your carbine questions. 
I agree ...
Originally posted by m1a1fan m1a1fan wrote:

War Baby! by Larry Ruth

And as an example of what <span style=": rgb248, 248, 252; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 15px;">floydthecat is saying, I've written a few notes in my Riesch book to reflect the latest info.</span>

Good thing the Riesch book is so cheap. Mine has markings everywhere. The Ruth book is still pretty much pristine.

Some other helpful resources

CCNL’s
Observation
Interweb searches (here, CMP, Milsurps and others)
Other members/Asking questions
Thorval View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thorval Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2018 at 1:29pm
Thank You for the information.
Thorval
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2018 at 3:26pm
There is a parts marking page on our main web pages. However, it is still under construction as we are working on some of the other pages.
If you have a specific question I am sure many here can help with that.

Welcome to the Forums!
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2018 at 5:44pm
Living Free because of those that serve.....
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2018 at 7:00pm
The prices have come down. They were over $2K at one time. You can still find the 5th edition on Ebay for around $175, 2nd edition for $75.
JackP
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2018 at 3:37pm
a little burdie tells me that they are printing an updated version. Save your money for when that comes out.
I wonder if the publisher trolled the boards and corrected some of the errors? 
watchdog49 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote watchdog49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2018 at 1:35pm
I purchased a copy of the 6th edition back in August of this year from Fulton Armory -- not the latest, but lots of good info. Cost was 22.95 plus shipping.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2018 at 3:15pm
Doesn't do much good to update it if they keep leaving some of the same mistakes in it. It would be nice if someone could do a book that was similar in layout, but say smaller in size and without the continuing errors; maybe that will happen one day.
 Post Reply Post Reply