Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

recoil plate coded LJ

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: recoil plate coded LJ
    Posted: Dec 04 2018 at 3:53pm
I saw CCNL 030 said this was 'unknown'.  Just wondering if any new info had been gained since then that determined who made it and for whom......
Thanks
"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2018 at 4:36pm
Col,
The last information I heard of the 3 often asked about Recoil Plates: WJ, LJ and P-LW:

WJ
War Time spare part.
Believed made by Wadsworth Watch Case for Jewell Bros war time replacement stocks. The J marked stocks. Early on I thought these were for Jamestown Lounge, the JL stocks, but was corrected by Mr. Ricca:

http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=41869

LJ
War time spare part.
Again these are from a spare parts contract the Jewell Bros had. We just don't know who the 'L' is. Some think Lyman, but no documented proof that I've seen yet.

https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=29078

P-LW
War time spare part.
I strongly believe these were made by Parker Wire Goods, same company that made the PI marked recoil plates for Inland. These P-LW were supplied to Lumb Woodworking for their war time replacement stock contract.

Again per the L J Plates, some think the L if for Lyman but no proof found that I know of.
Here is a copy of a spare parts contract Jewell had during WWII, supplied by Mr. Ricca:

Best I can do, others may now know more.

Charlie-Painter777

Living Free because of those that serve.....
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2018 at 4:42pm
Thanks Charlie Painter.
Great info.
"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2018 at 5:00pm
I have sent a msg to the L J Mueller Furnace Co and asked if their company history might include any reference to them making WWII parts for the Carbine. Will let you know if I get a response.
Praetorianseven View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Praetorianseven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2020 at 3:08pm
Thank you!
Praetorianseven
US Army Retired
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2020 at 4:48pm
I didn't hear anything from L J Mueller Furnace Co, and now doubt that I will. Too bad.
Praetorianseven View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Praetorianseven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2020 at 5:24pm
Thanks for the effort!

Praetorianseven
US Army Retired
 Post Reply Post Reply