Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carbine Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carbine Question
    Posted: Nov 28 2018 at 9:06am
The CMP has a Bavarian IBM Carbine for sale by auction.  The description is "M1 Carbine Service Grade I.B.M. Carbine 3864343 AO Stamped".

What does AO mean?

Thanks.
Semper Fi, Bruce
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2018 at 9:26am
Auto Ordnance made receivers for IBM during the war (IBM took them over eventually). Several carbine companies had receivers made by outside contractors. They are marked on the heal, in this case AO. Scroll down toward the bottom of this link:    http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/manufacturers.html
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2018 at 10:30am
Originally posted by cali201 cali201 wrote:

Auto Ordnance made receivers for IBM during the war (IBM took them over eventually). Several carbine companies had receivers made by outside contractors. They are marked on the heal, in this case AO. Scroll down toward the bottom of this link:    http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/manufacturers.html

Many thanks!

I would assume that IBM carbines with an IBM receiver are more desirable than an IBM with an Auto Ordnance receiver.

I am debating with myself about placing a bid on the IBM carbine because it is a Bavarian.  Decisions, decisions...!
Semper Fi, Bruce
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2018 at 12:12pm
no, an AO marked receiver is a bit more desirable then a non AO receiver.
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2018 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by cali201 cali201 wrote:

no, an AO marked receiver is a bit more desirable then a non AO receiver.

Really!  Makes sense now that I think about it; the seller of the IBM carbine highlighted the fact it had an AO receiver.

Thanks.

Semper Fi, Bruce
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2018 at 6:13pm
AO was contracted to make 50% of the receivers for IBM. As mentioned they had issues and IBM had to pick up the slack.
It is estimated that about 60,000 AO receivers were used.
So subjective to premium. If I was an IBM employee I would want IBM made.
Having Carbinitisis I am compelled to have both an IBM and an IBM AO Thumbs Up
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2018 at 8:35pm
An AO marked IBM Carbine makes a desirable "accessory" for a Thompson collector. The American Thompson Association has displayed an AO/IBM Carbine a couple of times in Thompson displays at NRA Conventions over the years. Manufacture of Carbine parts was an attempt by the Auto-Ordnance Division of Maguire Industries to diversify and/or continue production once the M3 Submachine Gun was adopted, and M1 Thompson production concluded. Several of our members own AO/IBM Carbines as a result of the close connection. (Of course, it doesn't necessarily take a "close" connection for Thompson collectors to be interested in anything related to the TSMG...i.e Reisings, Tear Gas Guns, Fed Labs items, 1920's to 40's Law Enforcement Equipment, AO marked M1 Carbines, Maguire Industries Radios, Thompson Tools Milling Equipment, Toy Thompsons, etc...)

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2018 at 12:05am
yah don't have carbinitis till you have 3 or 4 of each, then it becomes cabinodrumn
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2018 at 5:24pm
what comes after cabinodrumn?
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2018 at 6:05pm
Carbinectomy?
JackP
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2018 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by jackp1028 jackp1028 wrote:

Carbinectomy?

I believe that is what happens when the wife finds out how many you have.
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2018 at 11:55pm
that is good!
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2018 at 7:30am
"I believe that is what happens when the wife finds out how many you have."

Amen to that! 
Semper Fi, Bruce
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2018 at 10:11am
My carbines always cost at least 2X what they are worth. All have to arrive in conjunction with a diamond ring, ear-rings or a new watch......and I don’t mean a Timex.
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2018 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

My carbines always cost at least 2X what they are worth. All have to arrive in conjunction with a diamond ring, ear-rings or a new watch......and I don’t mean a Timex.

Floyd,

This is obviously not your first rodeo!!  If I did not know better, I'd say you and I are married to the same woman. Wink

Semper Fi, Bruce
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2018 at 1:23pm
Clones!
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2018 at 5:34pm
Once, a Standard Products was under the tree for Christmas. It was later sold and then an agreement was reached on how to split up the proceeds. After long, drawn out negotiations...I was able to secure a solid 2% share.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2018 at 5:40pm
I purchased an M14 from my hospital bed. I will be “paying that off” forever.
 Post Reply Post Reply