Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can this barrel damage be fixed?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can this barrel damage be fixed?
    Posted: Nov 22 2018 at 9:45am
This is Underwood 12-42 barrel I got in trade with damaged skirt. The skirt is not totally circular but deformed somewhat. The threads all look great with not damage at all. 
I welcome all opinions.
Thanks

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2018 at 10:44am
If you compare that barrel skirt to a later model, you'l see that a lot of the skirt can be removed. I'm not sure how it was done though.
You should hear from the experts soon.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2018 at 10:46am
Happy Thanksgiving!

That type of barrel skirt damage is not uncommon. Carbine manufacturers eventually eliminated the thin portion of the skirt because this occurred so frequently. You should be okay in doing likewise. Just smooth over any burrs or sharp edges afterwards. Leave the thicker section intact.
JackP
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2018 at 10:18am
If the barrel has no bayo shadow/wear (yielding a better collectible value) I'd attempt to straighten it. In that case I'd screw it on a receiver and use a hard plastic material in a place of a punch and tap it back into roundness against the receiver. A punch will damage the steel. Even a hard piece of wood could work.
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2018 at 10:37am
Looks like I have a project ahead of me. Thanks for all the help guys.
"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2018 at 3:47pm
Someone with a lathe should be able to roll it back in place. If it happened to crack then the material can be removed.
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2018 at 3:57pm
Thanks Dan
I'll work on straightening it, and if it cracks, I'll come back to the forum for more info on removing material. I am a little confused how that would go. So, let me first see how the straightening goes.
Thanks again.
1961bama View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1961bama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2018 at 9:48pm
It can be repaired or modified both work and are acceptable. Personally, since it started as a long skirt I would correct the bends.
1961bama
InlandHunter View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote InlandHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2018 at 4:53pm
Col. reed,
If faced with the same repair, would make a hardened steel form tool.  Tool would have close fitting pilot that engaged the chamber.  Tool would have a partial, eccentric flange.  As tool was rotated eccentric would make a point contact on the deformed skirt.  If mild steel, should push back as easily as it got bent.  Do this sort of thing often in my shop. (machine tool mfg.)  Perhaps horse trade for parts.
 Post Reply Post Reply