The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hi from Pittsburgh, PA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Macasaet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi from Pittsburgh, PA
    Posted: Nov 14 2018 at 9:45pm
I bought an Inland M1 for just over $400 last week.  It shoots fine but the fun is in learning more about the rifle.  The serial number on the receiver says 210287 and it seems to be from 1942 but the stock is from Bianchi circa 1960 (with thanks to Johnny Rotten for the lead).

I will have the head space checked (should have done that before shooting, but there does not seem to be any deformation on the spent cases).  Assuming that is OK, thinking of replacing the extractor (had failure to extract), the hammer and recoil springs.  The 15 rd magazine works ok but had a problem with the 30 rd.  Will probably have to check the orientation of the spring, stretch it out and clean the inside of the mag.

The lans and groove are clean.  The slide stop is missing.  Marks on the side shows it was originally fitted with select fire.  Marks on the barrel shows it may have had a flash hider at some point.  The finish would probably be at 85-87%.

Over all, I am happy with it.  It's not an expensive collectible rifle but it shoots well.  Think I'll keep it.
Al Macasaet
NRA Life Member
allend View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2018 at 5:35am
Welcome to the forum.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2018 at 5:49am
Good morning Al and welcome to the forum.  I hadn't seen a stock like yours.  Thanks for sharing.
watchdog49 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watchdog49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2018 at 11:02am
Welcome to the forum, from another one of us who likes to shoot his carbines.

Does your rifle have the magazine catch that's updated for the 30-rnd mags? I would assume so if it appears to have other M2-related mods, but if not, that could be an issue with the 30-rnd mag. I've had good luck with current production Korean 30's, they seem good quality and are available from a number of vendors. Happy shooting!
LMTmonoMan View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMTmonoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2018 at 1:28pm
Welcome aboard brother!

Cool stock, and for $400 it sounds like you got a good deal for sure!
Al Macasaet View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Macasaet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2018 at 5:15pm
Thank you Allend, I'm already learning a lot.
Al Macasaet
NRA Life Member
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Macasaet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2018 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by sling00 sling00 wrote:

Good morning Al and welcome to the forum.  I hadn't seen a stock like yours.  Thanks for sharing.

The stock was from Bianchi, from the 60's.  It may have been made by Wayne's Wood Carving, with suggestions from Robert Penney of Alpine Industries.  Check out 
http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_alpine.html, towards the bottom half of the page.

I like the stock a lot but am also considering a regular stock and hand guard set, specially if its from the same period.  Might that add value to the rifle?
Al Macasaet
NRA Life Member
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Macasaet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2018 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by watchdog49 watchdog49 wrote:

Welcome to the forum, from another one of us who likes to shoot his carbines.

Does your rifle have the magazine catch that's updated for the 30-rnd mags? I would assume so if it appears to have other M2-related mods, but if not, that could be an issue with the 30-rnd mag. I've had good luck with current production Korean 30's, they seem good quality and are available from a number of vendors. Happy shooting!

Thank you watchdog49.  No it does not have the extra catch for the 3rd nib on the 30 rd magazine.  I read somewhere that was a particular problem, when shooting in rapid fire - the magazine would fall off.

Just the same I may want to replace the magazine catch at some point.

Al Macasaet
NRA Life Member
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Macasaet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2018 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by LMTmonoMan LMTmonoMan wrote:

Welcome aboard brother!

Cool stock, and for $400 it sounds like you got a good deal for sure!

Thanks LMTmonoMan, I feel I got a good deal but as in anything else I feel a need to update, upgrade - leading up to more expenditure.  However that seems to be the nature of the hobby but - it's all for fun.
Al Macasaet
NRA Life Member
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2018 at 6:31pm
Nice looking carbine.

It has been a while since I have heard yinz or had a Primanti brothers sammich. Hopefully soon.

Welcome to the forum.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Macasaet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2018 at 11:28pm
Originally posted by m1a1fan m1a1fan wrote:

Nice looking carbine.

It has been a while since I have heard yinz or had a Primanti brothers sammich. Hopefully soon.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks m1a1fan, you've been to the da burgh, where they speak Pittsburghese - ha ha ha
Al Macasaet
NRA Life Member
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Macasaet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 25 2019 at 8:02pm

Originally posted by Al Macasaet Al Macasaet wrote:

I bought an Inland M1 for just over $400 last week.  It shoots fine but the fun is in learning more about the rifle.  The serial number on the receiver says 210287 and it seems to be from 1942 but the stock is from Bianchi circa 1960 (with thanks to Johnny Rotten for the lead).

I will have the head space checked (should have done that before shooting, but there does not seem to be any deformation on the spent cases).  Assuming that is OK, thinking of replacing the extractor (had failure to extract), the hammer and recoil springs.  The 15 rd magazine works ok but had a problem with the 30 rd.  Will probably have to check the orientation of the spring, stretch it out and clean the inside of the mag.

The lans and groove are clean.  The slide stop is missing.  Marks on the side shows it was originally fitted with select fire.  Marks on the barrel shows it may have had a flash hider at some point.  The finish would probably be at 85-87%.

Over all, I am happy with it.  It's not an expensive collectible rifle but it shoots well.  Think I'll keep it.

Just a quick update.  I sent this M1 to Fulton Armory for technical analysis and had them replace the barrel with one from Criterion (chrome lined), replace the extractors, ejector and respective springs & plungers, firing pin, hammer, magazine catch (to M2 type) and trigger housing pin and had it re-parkerized.  It's practically new.  Shot 117 rounds rounds so far - no hiccups and reasonably accurate.

Cost a bit more but I feel I can rely on it.  Very happy with Fulton Armory.  It took 14 weeks but it's well worth the wait.

Al Macasaet
NRA Life Member
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2019 at 5:33am
while the stock may "look cool" it is one of the worse for shooting, that wire is not very steady. There are lots of stocks available, either original or new production to make it a more steady shooting platform.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Macasaet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2019 at 6:28am
Originally posted by cali201 cali201 wrote:

while the stock may "look cool" it is one of the worse for shooting, that wire is not very steady. There are lots of stocks available, either original or new production to make it a more steady shooting platform.

Good point, thanks but this looks bad-ass so I kept it as it is. Besides I have an Auto-Ordnance that has a regular stock.
Al Macasaet
NRA Life Member
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2019 at 6:19pm
Al, congrats on your upgrades. I have a Cadmus Carbine that used to have a GI barreled receiver. More info here:

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_natord2.html

It was hoot to shoot, though a little awkward with the stock folded. I sold all of it, but kept the stock. Thanks for the reminder that I need to find a cheap barreled receiver so I can shoot it again. All I have to do now is remember where I put it.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Macasaet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 28 2019 at 6:41am
Originally posted by m1a1fan m1a1fan wrote:

Al, congrats on your upgrades. I have a Cadmus Carbine that used to have a GI barreled receiver. More info here:

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_natord2.html

It was hoot to shoot, though a little awkward with the stock folded. I sold all of it, but kept the stock. Thanks for the reminder that I need to find a cheap barreled receiver so I can shoot it again. All I have to do now is remember where I put it.

Cadmus Paratrooper stock was advertised for $24.95 back then.  John Bianchi was selling his version for $21.95.  Those were the days.  http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_alpine.html
Al Macasaet
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply