Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Commercial Carbines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Iver Johnson 9MM Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Iver Johnson 9MM Carbine
    Posted: Nov 12 2018 at 2:58pm
I love our Caliber-30 GI carbine. I would also probably like a 22-Spitfire/5.7 Johnson. I really like the little IJ 9x19 carbine manufactured toward the end of IJ production in 85-86. There were only some 2100 of these made and that alone may place them in a collector-class. Yes, I realize that if some of us had a golden cow-pattie it may be rare and collectable as well in the eye's of the proud owner. The IJ example of the 9MM is unique in that it faithfully mimics the Caliber-30 design. It is gas-operated and most of the internals will interchange. I have hardened the one I have with a modified GI bolt and all GI bolt and trigger housing internals. IJ manufactured these carbines with left-over single-spring Universal forged steel receivers. I reload for the 9MM for about a nickel a round.

These little carbines show-up now-n-then for sale at 30-carbine prices. It looks like a duck, walks like a duck, shoots like a duck, but cost much less to feed than a duck. I use it for plinking, home-defense and take small bothersome armadillo-sized critters here around the house and I never alarm the neighbors.

If you ever see one of these available and like to shoot the 9MM with a carbine that looks, feels and operates like it's bigger brother, consider picking one up. I have made several improvements to mine to enhance the reliability, functionality and longevity. Some parts are still available and there are a couple that one needs to acquire if he/she wants to keep the little gun shooting. I have prepared an overview of the little carbine and will be happy to send any interested parties a copy, if they will PM me with an e-mail address. It may be something interesting to read on these rainy days like today.

Imitation is the best form of flattery, and Iver Johnson did a very good job of that with this 9MM carbine.

sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2018 at 5:42am
Floyd did a great job beefing up this carbine to extend it's lifespan to that of the GI carbines. Maybe beyond as it's only eating 9mm's.

For the web page I did on this particular carbine I bought one of these. It's now the old story of I'm kickin' myself for selling it. But at the time selling one is how I could afford another for learning, pics and the web pages.

Three big pluses on this carbine...

1) 9mm ammo cost vs .30 carbine ammo cost
2) inexpensive practicing that works even better when training someone how to shoot a .30 cal. carbine.
3) For training purposes it IS a true replica of the .30 caliber carbines. The few parts that were changed for 9mm are few.

Unfortunately Chiappa ignored lessons already learned when they designed they're 9mm version. They're now reaping what they sowed. It could still be salvaged if they'd change a few things. But the few things that need to be changed would be too costly for them.

Jim
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2018 at 6:15am
Originally posted by sleeplessnashadow sleeplessnashadow wrote:

For the web page I did on this particular carbine I bought one of these. It's now the old story of I'm kickin' myself for selling it. But at the time selling one is how I could afford another for learning, pics and the web pages.

Jim

And....a very good job you did. I learned a lot of what I know about this gun from the web page. 9mm barrels are available, but I have never seen a caliber-30 carbine modified for the 9. IJ designed this gun specifically for the 9 x 19, but I suppose it could be re-chambered for 9 x 21, 9 x 23 and even the 9mm magnum. 9 x 21 and 9 x 23 are readily available at gun shows and major ammo sales outlets, if one wanted a hotter round. I don't see why though. 9 x 19 ammo prices are ridiculously low at the moment and can be found anywhere.
 Post Reply Post Reply