Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carbines in the Movies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2019 at 10:14am
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2019 at 10:36am
Originally posted by Durango56 Durango56 wrote:

In The Heat of the Night

You got it Durango, the episode was titled "Sweet, Sweet Blues"
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
welbytwo View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote welbytwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2019 at 4:10pm
Thin Red Line—- note carbines on ship and in landing craft have bayonet bands. When they get to heat of battle none do. Must have been a caught ooppssy
ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2019 at 8:35am
Men In War 1957

Butsky View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butsky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2019 at 5:25pm
An old black and white flick called "Men in War" has lots of Carbines in action, with nice close ups too! Korean War  theme...
1989LX View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1989LX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2019 at 6:18pm
A few carbines are used in the 2017 movie Detroit, which is about the 1967 riots. Michigan SP and national guardsmen use them mostly from what I saw personally in the film.
USGI magazines are like potato chips, you can't have just one!
rustygun View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustygun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2019 at 10:36pm
M1 Carbine in YELLOWSTONE Series; Episode 1 "Daybreak"

In a brief night scene, one of the men around a fire had an M1 Carbine in his hands.

Of course, later, when the shooting began the fellow has an AR15...

rustygun View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustygun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2019 at 7:08pm
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome had TWO M1 Carbines Featured briefly...

The first was in the Oasis of the lost children. The Oldest Tracker was using it as a staff.

The second was at the end when The Pilot's Son tries to hold up the train of escapees.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2021 at 8:54pm
the Pacific is in right now with back to back episodes on the history channel.
Lots of carbines.

ncin1911 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncin1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 20 2021 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

the Pacific is in right now with back to back episodes on the history channel.
Lots of carbines.

It sure is. Big smile
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2021 at 8:46am
Might be some in there, but I have not seen a one with late features. Whoever consulted on that series got the weapons right I think.
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2021 at 9:17am
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

Might be some in there, but I have not seen a one with late features. Whoever consulted on that series got the weapons right I think.

I'd be willing to bet they used Auto Ordnance for any "working" guns and the majority were "rubber ducks". There can't be that many working USGI Carbines left in Hollyweird film armories.

The TV show I noticed years ago that had plenty of M-1 Carbine action was "Jericho" 

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2021 at 9:18am
might have gotten the weapons correct, I just question who was carrying them. I would expect radio man, ammo carrier etc to have.
It seems like they were just randomly given out
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2021 at 9:25am

might have gotten the weapons correct, I just question who was carrying them. I would expect radio man, ammo carrier etc to have.
It seems like they were just randomly given out

Background actors maybe, keep in mind they would have been given the rubber ducks. I can see John Basilone carrying one, he would have had his choice of weapons and as a Gunny would have felt he was suppose to carry one since he was a leader and not supposed to be a rifleman
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2021 at 9:31am
I was just looking into who supplied the weapons. I know Sarco and a few others have supplied for other movies.
Last night I had wondered if Auto Ordnance, but the stocks would have had been dressed done to look more accurate.

So my first internet hit was this, an interesting read, be sure to get to the use of the 1903a1

another interesting link, http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Pacific,_The
even though they show a low wood. Remember, its the internet
DonFlynn View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 21 2021 at 10:01am

I was just looking into who supplied the weapons. I know Sarco and a few others have supplied for other movies.
Last night I had wondered if Auto Ordnance, but the stocks would have had been dressed done to look more accurate.

So my first internet hit was this, an interesting read, be sure to get to the use of the 1903a1

another interesting link, http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Pacific,_The
even though they show a low wood. Remember, its the internet

I can see the armorers for the series either redoing A/O stocks or using surplus USGI stocks supplied by someone, depends on what would have been cheaper.

I remember the 03a1's, I gave them a break when I 1st saw those. I figure it was easier to find the a1's
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2023 at 10:14am
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2023 at 10:41am
Try the old Audie Murphy movie "Battle at Bloody Beach" for some more carbine action!

OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
DogDoc View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DogDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2023 at 9:45am
How about SFC Horvath in Saving Private Ryan?

Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2023 at 12:25pm
They use a lot of replica guns in these shows now versus in the past. I have seen a Garand "replica" at a show once and at distance it looks fairly good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12