The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bore Cleaning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bore Cleaning
    Posted: Nov 01 2018 at 6:27pm
The last couple of weeks, I have been reading about metal (i.e. copper, lead) fouling inside rifle bores.  It peeked my interest because I own two 70+ year old carbines.

There are a LOT of opinions on the best bore cleaner and on the BEST technique to use them.  I finally decided to use Butch's Bore Shine to clean the accumulated crud/metal in the bores of my two carbines.  I figured after 70 years, it would not hurt to clean them out.  I first sighted down the bores (with an LED light in the breech) and the bores did not look to bad; but there was some noticeable "crud" and the rifling was not crisp and distinct.

Butch's is some nasty stuff.  It is ammonia based and very potent.  I wore nitrile gloves and a mask over my nose/mouth.  As far as the technique, I just followed the directions on the bottle.

I first stripped the carbines down removing the stocks, trigger groups, op rod springs, op rods and bolts.  I then ran a patch soaked in Butch's thru the bore (entered from muzzle end).  The patch came out a bluish grey.  I then ran a second soaked patch down the bore and it was a darker blue.  The third soaked patch was run in and out of the bore about 10 times.  I then ran a bronze bristle bore brush dipped in Butch's through the bore about 8 times.  Finally, I used clean dry patches until they came out clean.  I put small LED flashlight in the breech and sighted down the barrel.  Wow...talk about squeaky clean!  The bore was a mirror finish with the lands and grooves clearly visible.

The final steps were my own idea.  I wanted to clean all the residual Butch's out of my barrels.  So, I ran a couple patches (soaked in Hoppes #9) thru the bores, followed by dry patches until they came out clean.  My final step was to soak a patch in gun oil and swab the bores a couple times.

The one main take-away from this exercise is there are a lot of "experts" out there.  People swear by this or that bore cleaner.  There are also just as many techniques for cleaning the bore as people who write about it.  Makes your head spin just reading all the various recommendations!

I am NOT an expert.  All I did was follow the manufacturer's recommendations on how to use Butch's Bore Shine.  The final steps of cleaning the residual Butch's out of the bore was my own technique; it may not be correct but it worked for me.

For those of you that like shooting your carbines, a through cleaning of your bore might not be a bad idea.  I hope this info was useful.

Semper Fi, Bruce
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2018 at 7:12pm
Here's an article on bore cleaning that describes three ways to go. I just bought a 126 year old Winchester Model 92 that had some serious lead fouling and was looking for the "best" way to clean it.

https://www.gun-tests.com/special_reports/accessories/Removing-Lead-Fouling-10189-1.html#.W9n_Oritud4

It turns out there are, like you say, several "best" ways to go. I ended up using the Hoppe's #9 with a bronze bore brush and elbow grease. This is the inexpensive but labor intensive method. I don't have a problem with copper fouling. However, lead is fairly inert and not many things will remove it, except maybe elbow grease. After a couple of hours of cleaning I was happy with the results. All this rifle shoots is lead so I will have to keep it up.
JackP
LMTmonoMan View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMTmonoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2018 at 8:44pm
I use two cleaning products on my carbines, and one of them is already mentioned..good ole' # 9.   Cheap, and just works. I use it exclusively on the bore. Then I use Hoppes Elite Gun cleaner, aka Mpro7 to clean all the parts and inside of the receiver.

I clean every rifle I own with a coated wire pull thru with the correct bore brush size or patch attached to it to include my carbine. I always cap off my bore cleaning with a lightly oiled patch run through the bore. The TM9-1276 pg. 36 calls for a cleaning every time the rifle was fired, along with some pretty stringent other instructions for follow up cleanings on subsequent days. I assume this might be a result of the potential, or known usage of corrosive ammo.

One thing very much worth noting in this discussion is that if your carbine has any of that decades old patina, pretty much any of these bore cleaners, and most other general gun cleaners will strip that patina off in a second. I'm not sure you can really clean a carbine the way it needs to be cleaned without risking a drip of cleaner running down the side of a patina'd receiver.

In the pic below, you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. The bore cleaner removed patina in the areas that it touched.

ETA: Just as a FWIW, I've heard it's not good to ever mix bore cleaners, or oils for that matter in a firearm. Try to stick with one type of bore cleaner, one type of lube, and one type of grease. They are obviously not all made of the same chemicals, and certain chemicals when they react can damage the bore.
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2018 at 9:34pm
LMTmonoMan,

Neither of my carbines have the surface patina shown in your photo, so that is not an issue that concerns me.  I will concede that Butch's would strip off any surface patina on your carbine.

I agree that #9 is a very good product for general purpose bore cleaning.  It is a bit slow in removing copper/lead residue IMHO.  That is why I used Butch's for a one time through cleaning.

I am pleased with my results and at the end of the day, I only need to please myself.  Hopefully you understand where I'm coming from.

Semper Fi, Bruce
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2018 at 9:42pm
Butch's Bore Shine is my choice, in my opinion it is the best bore cleaner out there. For lube I use Wilson Combat's Ultima-Lube "Universal" and Wilson Combat Ultima-Lube "grease".
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2018 at 6:39am
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Butch's Bore Shine is my choice, in my opinion it is the best bore cleaner out there. For lube I use Wilson Combat's Ultima-Lube "Universal" and Wilson Combat Ultima-Lube "grease".

Wayne,

Wilson's make very good products.  I am currently using Militec gun oil and their gun grease.  A good friend is former member of the USMC Pistol Team and he recommended Militec.  Seems to be pretty good stuff.

Semper Fi, Bruce
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2018 at 8:25am
To avoid dripping bore cleaner on any exterior surfaces, I pad the barrel in a vise at an angle that prevents any cleaner from getting on them. It also helps to put a rag to catch any cleaner dripping down.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2018 at 8:54am
Good points Charles.

I was very careful not to let any of Butch's Bore Cleaner get on the exterior of the barrel or receiver.  After I finished cleaning the bore, I wiped the receiver and barrel down with a clean rag that I sprayed with Balistol just to get any bore cleaner I had missed.  I also wiped out the interior of the receiver and breech area using a rag, q-tips and a pipe cleaner.

Here's a question that I thought about this morning.  I clean my carbines after ever trip to the range.  I clean the bore and receiver with Hoppe's #9; I think Hoppe's does a very good job for these routine cleanings.  My question is how often should I use the Butch's for a thorough cleaning of the bore?

Thanks.
Semper Fi, Bruce
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2018 at 10:04am
Originally posted by BER911 BER911 wrote:

My question is how often should I use the Butch's for a thorough cleaning of the bore?

Bruce, Butch's is the only bore cleaner I use and I use it every time I clean any of my firearms.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2018 at 12:50pm
Thanks Wayne.

That's what I needed to know.

Semper Fi, Bruce
ABNAKS View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABNAKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 09 2019 at 7:11pm
[Hello to all, new member here but not new to firearms, on a number of gun boards but had to add an "S" to my screen name to make the 6-character length required]

You mean you don't just "dump in more CLP and keep shooting"? Just a joke from my AR affiliations. I disagree with that *philosophy* with AR's and am a fervent believer in weapons maintenance.

With regards to cleaning, one advantage of a USGI (or commercial) Carbine is that it is not a chrome lined barrel and therefore you have a good deal more latitude to use different cleaning materials. Yes, I prefer a chrome lined barrel on military-style weapons but on ones that didn't have them (M1 Garands, Carbines, 1903's) the flip-side is that it does free you up on what you can use to clean with.

Chrome lined barrels aren't fond of ammonia-based solvents, at least not for leaving it in for any length of time. But something like an M1 Carbine can easily accept a cleaner like Butch's Bore Shine.

I use a patch of copper solvent, then brush it out after it sits for a few minutes. A few dry patches to get it out. Next is perhaps some Hoppe's #9 or even Break-Free CLP (maybe Slip2000) for a patch/brush/patch until it comes out looking like it went in.

I'm kind of O/C about keeping my weapons clean.     
11C2P Airborne Infantry
83-87
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2019 at 12:38am
Originally posted by LMTmonoMan LMTmonoMan wrote:

The bore cleaner removed patina in the areas that it touched.

I don't consider the picture above as an example of 'Patina'.
Rather an example of years of grime, dried grease and oil.

Below a Before and After picture after treating a Palm print. Using Hoppes #9. Applied and soft bristle brushed. Then re-coated with #9 and wrapped in plastic (to keep from drying out) overnight, then again soft brushed.

I've seen Milsurp rifles pulled from long term storage that (with out wood) were cooked off in Turkey fryers. Yea my first thoughts too! But amazing how much grime was released, only then needing a good detail cleaning.
Though I never could bring myself to attend one of his invitations for Deep fried Turkey.

Another note: I was shown years ago that Kerosene does wonders on lead fouling.

Another FWIW Reply by:
Charlie-Painter777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
ABNAKS View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABNAKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2019 at 7:01pm
Would Kroil be a decent barrel cleaner? I have some but have never used it for cleaning guns.
11C2P Airborne Infantry
83-87
JimFhr View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimFhr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2019 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by ABNAKS ABNAKS wrote:

Would Kroil be a decent barrel cleaner? I have some but have never used it for cleaning guns.

I use Kroil . . . cut 50/50 with Hoppe’s . . . as my “go-to” bore cleaner.

No problems at all.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2019 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by ABNAKS ABNAKS wrote:

Would Kroil be a decent barrel cleaner?

Kroil is great stuff for all sorts of applications, bore cleaning included. I have known many people that mix it with another bore cleaner like JimFhr mentioned to make their preferred "bore cleaner". Many swear by it, I always have a can on hand.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply