Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Show Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

National Gun Day

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watchdog49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: National Gun Day
    Posted: Oct 25 2018 at 11:23am
Hi all, Anyone planning to attend the National Gun Day show in Louisville, KY this weekend? They're billing it as the "First Annual Collector Show"; not sure exactly what that means... I will be there for the weekend, I'm going to take my 1943 Inland over to see if I can sell it to someone who is a much more serious collector than I am (see link below for thread). Perhaps if any of you folks are attending we could meet at some point for a little carbine camaraderie!     

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/late-1943-inland_topic3640.html
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2018 at 3:46pm
needless to say you can only sell it to a dealer (FFL) holder or, I guess, a C&R? If an individual you will have to go thru a dealer to do so (unless he has a MO DL license).
watchdog49 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watchdog49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2018 at 4:25pm
Hi Cali,
Yes, I appreciate the comments. I actually reviewed the Kentucky statutes regarding private party transfers between KY residents and out of state individuals and they are a little confusing. I intend to get some official guidance at the show.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2018 at 5:12pm
From past experience at that show, there are dealers who can handle a transfer, for varying fees. If you have any doubts I would seek out one of those dealers to handle your transaction.

Unless something comes up I will probably be there early Saturday.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2018 at 10:05am
watchdog49, so how was the gun show? Did you manage to get what you wanted for your Inland? I would have loved to have attended that show but I spent the weekend in a deer stand with my grandson.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watchdog49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2018 at 2:29pm
Hi Wayne,
Well, sounds like you may have had at least as much fun as I did!

Actually the show was pretty good, although I was really surprised that it was quite a bit smaller in terms of exhibitors/vendors than the last time I attended (which was spring 2012). Much smaller this time, only about 2/3 of the hall was occupied by tables. However, there were quite a few very nice carbines that showed up, including (my personal favorite) what appeared to be a very original S'G' which was being offered for $3800(!). As of the time I left it had not been sold.

I did sell my Inland, actually pretty quickly...a guy who said he collects general WW2 militaria took a close look and we settled at $100 less than my asking price, which seemed fair (and by the way, my asking pice was pretty much in line with what you had suggested in past messages), so I'm grateful to you for helping me set a reasonable target.

Actually the best part of the show was that I was able to meet and have a nice discussion with Why Carbines?, who was also there. In these virtual communities it's good to be able to put a face with a name.

cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2018 at 2:34pm
well it is a bit late but you need to pay attention to federal laws, not state.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watchdog49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2018 at 5:08pm
Absolutely correct....I discovered when I got there that the organizers handed out a little card to everyone who entered detailing the legal requirements for sales and purchases. That was very helpful.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2018 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by watchdog49 watchdog49 wrote:

Hi Wayne, Well, sounds like you may have had at least as much fun as I did!

Terry, Fun yes and a little bit of a challenge hunting with a fidgety 8 year old, but when the deer finally showed up yesterday morning the boy held it together, took his time and dropped his first deer in it's tracks. Absolutely Priceless!

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply