Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

P-U Stock Markings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P-U Stock Markings
    Posted: Oct 21 2018 at 11:02pm
This Underwood stock is marked P-U in the sling slot.  It has a small ordnance wheel and no box on the right side.  Harrison says it saw rare use in 1944.  I see no mention of it in Riesch or in the Carbine Club Newsletters.  Any info is appreciated.

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2018 at 11:32am
hunterman, I could be wrong but to me it looks like your stock is actually a P-J stock that someone made the J into a U. Your small CC cartouche looks just like the small cartouche found on Jewell Bros. stocks. Check out the pictures on this link.
https://whatacountry.com/m1-carbine-p-j-low-wood-stock-S550.aspx

And this thread on the topic

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/original-or-rebuild-inspection-mark-p_topic3598_post23468.html?KW=P%2DU+stock#23468

Edited by New2brass - Oct 22 2018 at 2:25pm
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
hunterman View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2018 at 1:04pm
I thought I had run across this but my memory failed me.  Thanks.
Glen
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2018 at 2:30pm
There are way too many P-J stocks out there with the same U that I am hesitant to say that someone changed the U.
The Jewel CC is very much like the CC seen in the UEF/GHD in box with CC .I think there may be a minute difference between the two 'Hot Dog' CCs 
I will follow up once I get caught up with other matters.

hunterman View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2018 at 4:49pm
What are the odds of this happening?  After my post, got a carbine in today and it's in P-J stock.
First, here is the sling cut of the P-U.  Looks suspiciously like a continuation of the left side of the U below the right side of the U where the two should connect (if making a J into a U).

hunterman View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2018 at 4:50pm
Here is the sling slot and CC from the P-J

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2018 at 4:53pm
Look closely at the heel of grip. Is it RA-P marked?
hunterman View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2018 at 6:20pm
Circle P
hunterman View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2018 at 11:13pm
Closer look shows circle P over R A - P

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2018 at 8:49am
hunterman, which stock it that the PU or PJ? Does it look like that circled P was stamped after the RA-P?
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
hunterman View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2018 at 9:35am
It's the P-J and yes, I believe the circle P is the later stamp.
 Post Reply Post Reply