The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bullet Setback

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwesi1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bullet Setback
    Posted: Oct 20 2018 at 11:34am
I purchased some Speer #1895 Varmit 110 HP’s. They do have a cannelure for a roll crimp for revolvers. Speer’s 39 Carbine Load Data has it seated above the roll crimp area. I loaded a dummy round. After chambering there was setback. I’ve learned over the years that applying more and more crimp is not the correct solution. I’m expanding the case ever so slightly and plan to load the bullet 5-10/1,000 longer to adjust for the measured setback then apply normal crimp (not much). Anyone else experienced this with this exact bullet or any 110 grain FMJ? Thoughts or other suggestions?
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2018 at 2:17pm
Maximum OAL is 1.680. Other than a long OAL, seems to me that bullet profile would be the only reason for the bullet to be contacting the bore. I am just guessing your OAL is long. I'd ignore the cannelure and seat the projectile where it will properly chamber. I hope the gun will chamber hollow-points?
kwesi1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwesi1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2018 at 2:23pm
The COAL in 1.635 (Speer for this bullet). My dummy round chambered and has setback.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2018 at 4:31pm
The carbine chamber starts to taper at 1.300 and continues to taper (the throat) out to 1.4452 at which point you encounter the bore. Your OAL being well within spec....it just about has to be the profile of your projectile. The nose of a spec. FMJ will "reach" into the bore without contact. I am not familiar with the projectile you mention, but it may be broad enough at the nose to contact the bore? Just my uneducated guess.

Continue to seat your dummy round until set-back disappears. If you can do that and make it work, you may have to adjust your charge accordingly to account for the deeper seat, if you take it very deep.

Honestly, I have experimented with alternative profiles other than the military ball and have failed to achieve reliable feeding in most cases. If you stray too far from Mil-Spec FMJ, troubles may follow. I only load FMJ or JLRN that has the same profile as FMJ.
kwesi1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwesi1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2018 at 8:43am
Setback eliminated update: I loaded another dummy round WITHOUT expanding the case mouth. Even after 3 chambering the bullet did not move.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2018 at 9:58am
If you can seat a bullet without expanding the case-mouth, that surely increases case-tension, which is what holds the bullet in place.
kwesi1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwesi1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2018 at 11:46pm
Absolutely but it’s a slow process.   I set my seating die @1.635 to create the dummy round. I loaded three ladders this eve with the load data Speer provides:

H110
13.0 gr , 13.5 gr and 14.0 gr
CCI 450 SR (magnum)
Speer 110 HP Varmit round
Fiocchi & PPU fired brass
Brass trimmed to 1.683

These bullets seem to have some slight variances. My COAL’s ranged 1.630-1.640. I’m hoping this project will yield an accurate hog round.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2018 at 7:52am
14 grains of H110 and an OAL of 1.680 nets 1900fps on my chronograph, which is right where it needs to be for a 110-gr. FMJ. If you're loading a hollow-point, 1.635 OAL is likely about right. 13.5 grains nets around 1850fps and cycles my carbines very well. Doesn't seem to make any difference where it prints on the target using 13.5 or 14.
kwesi1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwesi1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2018 at 10:07am
Speer data for their HP:

12.0 gr @ 1607
14.0 gr @ 1905
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2018 at 3:11pm
Looks like 14 may be your ticket. The original performance data listed 1900fps and 36,500 for the pressure as I recall. Since your carbine passes on the no-go gauge....you have a nice tight little gun with lots of life left in it. ENJOY!
kwesi1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwesi1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2018 at 3:48pm
Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply