Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RSG stock ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RSG stock ?
    Posted: Oct 16 2018 at 10:08pm
Few weeks ago I picked up a rifle that had this SG cartouched stock on it, classic Robert Irwin profile in the recoil plate area. However no RSG marking in the slingwell. Instead it has a numeric code? 702F?

Buttplate is also a mystery to me, it doesn't seem to line up with any known pattern yet appears USGI and has been on the stock a while.

Appreciate any thoughts on what the code is and who made the buttplate.

https://imgur.com/a/yFq3O0f

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2018 at 11:41pm
I think I see markings dead center in slingwell. Rotate the stock around and take picture then try taking pictures from different perspective from light source. The light may make shadows which highlight the marks.

The the numbers and letters are typical of stocks used at Saginaw plant.

We recently discussed a similar stock.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/sg-garage-findoriginal_topic3620.html

Can you provide a picture straight on of the buttplate?
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2018 at 8:56pm
Took a few more pictures, including one straight close up of the buttplate (same album). There are some minute disturbances in the wood but I cannot make out any letters.

Now that you mention it, I do recall the other thread discussing the SG. But I don't think it was discussed what the code meant. Date? Lot?
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 17 2018 at 9:59pm
The letters and numbers there is no definitive answer. Best guess is inspector marks.
RSG stocks sent to Grand Rapids do not have these marks.

Your RSG appeared in your new pics. Look at first and third pictures.
Upper right of well.

That looks like a butt plate for NPM.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/buttplates.html

Look at second plate for NPM
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2018 at 6:47pm
I can tell you that not long ago, I went thru this very exercise. Until New2brass and others persuaded me to keep looking, I never could see an RSG. Once I did...it was as plain as the nose on your face. I have since ran-across numerous SG stocks with this random letter/number pattern. I think it was a cruel trick played by somebody at SG so we successor enthusiast would wonder about it.Big smile
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2018 at 8:53pm
Ahh yes I agree the buttplate is NPM. What threw me was how square the center appears.

I see a minute wood disturbance in the upper right of the well, but can't make out an RSG. Can you make out the letters? Wish they would have stamped it as strongly as my RSG handguard :)
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2018 at 4:45pm
The butt plates at times are easier to tell bu looking at them from the back.
Here the contrast really gets the detail. Your plate is in much better condition than the one used for the web pages.
Look close and the tops and bottom dots match. The smooth line on sides as well.
The variations in the center could be the amount of pressure to dimple or coin the screw hole. The shape is basically the same.

As to the RSG marks. The actual font I have observed as larger and smaller variations.
compare the boxed section and you will see where to look. It seems most of your "R" is not readily visible. Almost looks like SSG due to the curve at the top of the R.

there is a technique where you could shine a flashlight across the markings which would light the surface while creating shadows in the lower parts (stamped sections). Taking a picture might require a third hand. You would be amazed at how it makes marks stand out.
Below I am sure the UN was evident. The 12 not so much.

Hope I am not going to have to start paying royalties for using Bruce's picture as an excellent example!
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2018 at 9:28pm
Thanks for the help Dan. I had some time to try the flashlight trick tonight. The tops of the letters show up a little better. Updated the album with the new pictures.
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2018 at 4:48pm
"Hope I am not going to have to start paying royalties for using Bruce's picture as an excellent example!"

No worries about royalties Dan.  Just glad to know my technique for highlighting hard to see marks is appreciated.  BTW, I never saw the "12" until you mentioned it. There also appears to be another round mark just to the right of the "12".  Do you know what those marks mean?

Semper Fi, Bruce
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2018 at 4:55pm
Bruce, it appears to just be a machining mark.
If talking the white mark to the right of 12 as you read it, just dust or dirt reflecting light.

GotSnlB28. Yup, I see the tops of letters and the other marks much better
 Post Reply Post Reply