Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New to me Inland 1945

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2018 at 12:18pm
Dan, Did the government stamp rebuild carbines with the cross cannons prior to being redistributed to military units?
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2018 at 1:10pm
Paul, 
Why don't you start here. scroll down to stock marks and read to end of the page.

After that read this page on rebuilds

And then we can go from there.
Best, Dan
Paul1262 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2018 at 1:38pm
Dan, Thanks for the reference. Does the encircled P on the front of the hand grip indicate that it was a rebuild inspected by Ordnance? Essentially, the same meaning as cross cannons on an original carbine?
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2018 at 4:06pm
P in circle and CC are two different things.

There were stamped P in circle which was very specific in size and style that was used by a few manufacturers early on.

P in circle or square anywhere on grip not consistent with the circle P mentioned above would be from the rebuild. This signified that it passed inspection.

The crossed cannons were ordnance acceptance stamps when they were manufactured. The exception to crossed cannons would be those seen on SA rebuilds as SA had a CC stamp. Another exception there is not enough evidence of is the small cc discussed in other threads on the P-U, P-J, and large J marked stocks.

There were many stateside arsenals that did rebuilds. The arsenals were government run, many with civilian workers.

Think of the CC as "Kilroy was here". It was a form of accounting. It marked the carbines that were now government property.

Lightly and loosely:
If you stole a carbine from the factory you would be guilty of local theft.
If you stole one with the CC it would be a federal crime as you now stole from the government.

Edit To Add:
Inland, Winchester, Underwood, IP/S'G' were the only ones to have the P in a circle on the bottom of the grip. This was early on and dropped mid 43. 

If you have the P in circle on any other stock used by another manufacturer then it would surely be from a rebuild (or humpestry) 

Paul1262 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2018 at 4:18pm
Dan, I really appreciate the level of detail contained in each of your responses.
Hardknocks View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hardknocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2018 at 7:16pm
Hello Folks
to add to the story.
I was cleaning up the wood and I found what looks like the cartouche
I'm pretty sure this is where its supposed to be.
i have read alot on uscarbine30.com and im not sure this carbine would have been originally issued with this stock. (I know the two rivet handguard is incorrect)
it seems to me with my limited experience this carbine was not rebuilt, it was shot but i dont see alot of wear. looks like it has all the correctly labeled inland parts. I guess someone could have cobbled the parts to make it correct, I didn't buy the story but there was one. the carbine sat in a foot locker that was not opened for 40 years? who knows!
i guess there is no way to be sure of its history.
well ammo is on the way so soon i will see how it shoots.
i see prices all over but i feel like i did OK for what i paid.
thanks again
Mike

Hardknocks View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hardknocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2019 at 7:11pm
Hi all
I checked the headspace and it is fine.
Finally ran 75 rounds down range.
25 yards pretty impressive groups.
How about the stamp on the stock I didn't get any opinions.
Thanks again for all the information.
Regards
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12