Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is best tool for barrel changes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is best tool for barrel changes?
    Posted: Oct 13 2018 at 5:53pm
I see 4 or 5 different commercial sources for barrel (action) wrenchs for changing carbine barrels. There are several different designs and I would like to get the the most trusted one. 
Can anyone offer some advice as to where I should purchase one?
Thanks
"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2018 at 7:35pm
I don't have my copy in front of me but IIRC in it Jerry Kuhnhausen recommends the tool from Brownells. You should probably have this manual if you are doing such serious work on carbines, even if you opt for a different tool
kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2018 at 10:25pm
Get the one that clamps on to the receiver using 2 bolts similar to how the barrel vise block bolts on to the barrel.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2018 at 11:23am
Agree with blackfish on having a copy of Jerry Kuhnhausen's shop manual on hand, it is truly a great technical reference. The tool mentioned in Ruth and Duff's Carbine owners guide as being the best action wrench is the type that kro1970 describes, unfortunately in that book it says the wrench is available from Chestnut Ridge Supply and after searching their website it does not appear that they still sell the action wrench. I believe that any of the wrenches offered will work but extreme care must be taken so you don't twist the receiver with the cheaper ones.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2018 at 12:17pm
Thanks, fellows
I have a copy of Kuhnhausen's shop manual and didn't think to look there first. Thanks for the tip. I will try to find the one that bolts on, and believe me, I will take great care with the task. 

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
JRBrid View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JRBrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2018 at 10:17pm
What about the tool that the CMP sells?  It works for the '03 Springfield and the M1 Garand, as well as the M1 Carbine.  

Jim B. 
Jim B.
 Post Reply Post Reply