Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Type III barrel band w/bayonet lug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2018 at 9:47am
I have a S. G. 585 range Winchester barrel no marks on the barrel as to where the sight was ever removed. I know it's a mix master. Trigger group is Inland. My band has a small w and nothing else. Could be the barrel was a replacement and the band was added then .
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2018 at 10:34am
Saginaw SG made their own barrels so I would say it is unlikely that the barrel was original to the receiver.
Winchester replacement barrels have been observed with the IBM saw cut behind front sight as mentioned in a previous post.
Does yours have the cut behind the sight?
Bottom line SG stopped producing the carbines before the t3 bands showed up. The band would not be original to the carbine but may be original to a replacement barrel

@Paul
HI and UI T3 bands?  Where did you see that?

According to CCNL 356 article on type 3 bands the following have been observed on Winchester carbines that appear to be original
AI
AMCO
D in Diamond
JM
J.M.Q.
JI
KI
MMQ
SA
SI

Interesting to note that there is mention of what we are calling wartime and postwar Cowles bands found in wrap dated 1958. So this means just because you find a high C does not mean it was war issue. I wonder if there are differences which would separate them out

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2018 at 10:55am
Originally posted by Why Carbines? Why Carbines? wrote:

Originally posted by allend allend wrote:

When were the type 3 bands used marked w?

Never by Winchester, but have seen them listed as both wartime and postwar replacements.

Hmm, here is a fine line. Evidence suggests Winchester did use W marked bands. They have been reported on Winchester carbines with stainless steel barrels

allend View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2018 at 11:25am
There is no cut behind the sight. No evidence the front sight has been removed either. I figured the band was added at rebuild. The band is the only thing I have not identified as to what era it is from.
I have had this rife since 72 and only reaserched it over the last few years.
Thank you for your input.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2018 at 11:41am
allend,
Is the finish consistent on barrel, band, front sight suggesting that it was assembled and then finished or refinished? 
SG like Inland you can see a shadow where the band sat while the finish was applied. Look near the gas cylinder.
If assembled after finish then there should be scratches from installing the front sight which was typical at Winchester.
At rebuild, if they sandblasted and refinished then you would possibly not see original install marks.

What color is the finish? Can you post a picture?
allend View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2018 at 11:56am
I have no clue as to how to post pictures. The band is blued. The barrel is park. Finish. There is a lot of patina starting all over. If you like I can email a pic if you like to see it.
Thank you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12