Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Daily driver?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mad murdock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daily driver?
    Posted: Oct 07 2018 at 7:31pm
I recently built what I like to refer as a “daily driver” M1 Carbine from mostly all USGI parts. The carbine “parts kit” was from Northridge Int’l, and the barrel is a criterion barrel, new cond. I got it from an online auction, and the receiver is a new FA receiver. Though the stock is an M2 stock, the rest of the parts are M1. The rifle is tight, and put together as described in the CMP accurizing the M1 pages, and for all intents and purposes is brand new, as almost all the parts from the kit were USGI surplus and never used condition. I am very pleased with what I have, though not a collector, it is a grade A piece that will be able to outlive me with reasonable care and feeding. Anyone else gone down this road? I haven’t been able to set it on a bench and see what it is capable of yet, but from the 100 or so rounds put through it so far, it is printing really tight groups at 40-50 yds. Easy to have 5 shot groups with all holes touching. I may have to build me another one, this one turned out so nice!
Bubba-7 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bubba-7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2018 at 8:56pm
That is really a great job.  
I had a RIA receiver in my younger days, I had George L. put a fake SA barrel on it.  Of course I did not know the barrel was a fake SA barrel until later. Lots of $ wasted.  I put one round through it and put it up.  It is not worth swapping out the barrel.
After that I stick with only US GI receivers and parts.  No more commercial parts for me.  And I do all the work myself.  

mad murdock View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mad murdock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2018 at 11:54pm
The criterion barrel is a match grade specimen, and the receivers that Fulton makes are 4140 hammer forged and machined. It is top notch. I believe it is a s close as one can get to obtaining a “new condition” carbine.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2018 at 8:51am
Just curious, what was the condition of the parts in the Northridge "parts kit"?
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
mad murdock View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mad murdock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2018 at 8:57am
The parts appeared new or well preserved. Everything was covered in cosmoline, and required a very thorough solvent bath to clean prior to assembly. Some were marked SG, some were marked WRA etc. I did not look for every mark on every piece, but all were made by USGI contractors, except the barrel and receiver. The bolt is a flat top, and the face appeared to have been never used, as well as all the rest of the pieces. The stock has an “FAT72” stamped on the side of the butt stock. I think it may have been an Italian arsenal stamp? I will see if I can get some pics of it on here over the next day or 2 time permitting.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 08 2018 at 9:02am
Yes, the FAT72 is an Italian arsenal stamp.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply