Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Inland late 43? Lookin for some help understanding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vangore1944 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2018 at 3:13am
Jack, I got the best pics I could. It's hard to capture because it really is very faint.

What does the mark in the slingwell indicate?
Vangore1944 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vangore1944 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2018 at 4:10am
I don't think the stock is varnished. It looks like just wood stain to me, but it does have a sort of gloss effect. My understanding is that the vet that this belonged to kept it up actively . . . sort of Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino with the Garand if you know what I mean. So I think it's possible that he restained it at some point. I will say that the stock is in such good shape that its hard to believe that it has been untouched since production. I may be new to carbines, but I have loads of historical artifacts from WW2 and other eras. This kind of condition on a piece of wood that old is just very rare in my experience, so I wouldn't ultimately be surprised if  the stock was changed out later or was otherwise not original.
That said, this vet very likely served at the very tail end of the war. He was a medical corpsman, but stationed in Europe (possibly aboard a hospital ship/converted LST). I wasn't generally aware of any corpsman serving in Europe . . . they were all in the pacific with the marines. But I looked around and there certainly were navy corpsmen serving in the European Theater, so its possible that he had little reason to use his weapon and /or was in the war for such a short timeframe that he plausibly could have come home with a carbine in first rate condition, whether it was his or he acquired it along the way.
Vangore1944 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vangore1944 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2018 at 4:37am
Brass, pictures are up. The blocked out portions are personal details . . . this guy scratched his social security, serial and phone numbers into various parts of this carbine. He's passed away now, so the only real reason that I have it covered with CIA Highlighter is because this vet was the grandfather of a somewhat well known person, a professional athlete. So I'm just being discrete for his sake.

The dowel repairs are really well done . . . you can feel a hint of a ridge when you run your fingertips over it but on the whole, its a very well done repair. Any ideas about what the repair was for?
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2018 at 8:26am
The stock is of course made by Hillerich and Bradsby for Inland, looks like an M2 style. I have three stocks made by H&B with similar dowel looking pin repairs, one of them is a Standard Products low wood. I like the metal color and condition of this Inland. It looks like someone took real good care of it.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2018 at 9:56am
Stock was sanded at some point as the Inland CC is not sharp. Repairs were allowed at some point for small imperfections. This was a savings in materials that were rejected previously.

Some immediately think a potbelly stock is post war. Yours is an example of a war time production.
The mix of parts suggest it has been rebuild at some point. I would not expect to see the bayo lug, flip safety and adjustable rear sight in your serial range.

None the less a very nice carbine.

A female worker at Hillerich & Bradsby Co. rubbing RLO on stocks.

jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2018 at 10:34am
Dan nailed it. "HI" is for Hillerich and Bradsby, a wartime Inland stock supplier. Thanks for posting the extra pictures. One can never have too many examples of a genuine Inland CC Ordnance stamp!
JackP
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2018 at 11:32am
Dan, what do you make of that circular area farther down in the sling well? Maybe it's just a tool mark...?    
JackP
arthur View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 13 2018 at 8:03pm
That's some extra fine looking wood on those racks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123