Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > For Sale > Cheers or Jeers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Using name of potential vendor(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using name of potential vendor(s)
    Posted: Sep 24 2018 at 8:37am
Is it permissible to use the name of various vendor(s) to inquire as to member experience with a particular vendor?
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2018 at 9:06am
If your referring to "brands", it's done all of the time.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2018 at 10:00am
Sounds like he's talking about sellers. I'll see a thread every once and a while about a certain seller. I think it's up to the person making the inquiry as to whether to make it a private or public post; personally, I don't care either way.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2018 at 10:08am
Paul, we have a forum section dedicated to just that.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/cheers-or-jeers_forum80.html
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Paul1262 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2018 at 11:41am
To be specific, Legacy Collectibles currently has four M1 Carbines for sale, two of which are interesting to me. Just wondering if any member has had a purchasing experience with this company. In the future, I will use the cheers and jeers forum section as recommended by W5USMC.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2018 at 1:51pm
My mistake, I thought he was talking about ammo performance.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2018 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by Paul1262 Paul1262 wrote:

To be specific, Legacy Collectibles currently has four M1 Carbines for sale, two of which are interesting to me. Just wondering if any member has had a purchasing experience with this company.

Paul, I have not purchased from them nor would I with their prices. Not sure which carbines that you are interested in but note the .U. underwood rebuild mark on the Winchester's stock, I think that if that carbine went though rebuild it would have a type 3 band, flip safety, adj rear sight.
In the description of the Inland they have listed they use "original configuration" I read that as restored.
I also think I see type 2 or 3 band marks on the "original" NPM.

Also of note awhile back there was a Saginaw carbine that had etched navy markings on it, it was originally sold by Julia auctions who in their description stated "Questionable Navy Markings" Legacy Collectibles bought the carbine from Julia, raised the price considerably and described the markings as "Rare Navy Markings"
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Paul1262 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2018 at 4:35pm
Wayne, I certainly appreciate your observations with respect to the M1 carbines available at Legacy. Collecting would be so much more fun if people were honest.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2018 at 6:15pm
+1 on what Wayne stated. 
I have observed people with more money than knowledge spend crazy money on obvious put togethers.

They have some nice stuff (non carbine) but based on my observations and there lack of knowledge (or willful misrepresentation) I would be hard pressed to spend my money with them.

edit to add
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2018 at 9:26pm
A few things to look for:

Bayonet band marks on the stock
Signs of barrel refinishing in the bayonet lug area
Crater or mismatched rear sight stake marks
Signs of welding in the dove tail area
Stock sanding especially in areas known to have rebuild marks
Rebuild marks
Paul1262 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 25 2018 at 9:56am
I had an initial interest in the 1943 Winchester. Since then, I have changed my mind given the following observations: 1.Appears to be Underwood stamp on left side of stock 2.Butt plate does not appear to be a Winchester. 3.Cartouche stamping appears to be mid Winchester, not early. 4.Winchester proof mark on barrel looks questionable. 5.Rear sight appears to be staked. 6.Repair to stock around magazine well is concerning. 7. Given the serial number, I think this M1 was produced in late 1942 (September 1942) not 1943. 8. Price - $2,495.00.
Paul1262 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2018 at 8:24am
Wayne, I made a few more comments regarding the Winchester that Legacy has for sale in my last post. I would appreciate you taking a look at them and see if you agree with any of the points or if I'm way off base.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2018 at 10:07am
Originally posted by Paul1262 Paul1262 wrote:

I had an initial interest in the 1943 Winchester. Since then, I have changed my mind given the following observations: 1.Appears to be Underwood stamp on left side of stock 2.Butt plate does not appear to be a Winchester. 3.Cartouche stamping appears to be mid Winchester, not early. 4.Winchester proof mark on barrel looks questionable. 5.Rear sight appears to be staked. 6.Repair to stock around magazine well is concerning. 7. Given the serial number, I think this M1 was produced in late 1942 (September 1942) not 1943. 8. Price - $2,495.00.

Paul,
Yes that is an Underwood rebuild stamp on the left side. I believe that the un-boxed W.R.A/G.H.D Winchester cartouche is correct for that serial range, the stock would have originally been type 2 (high wood) but was converted to Type 3 at some point. Agree the winch PW proof looks funny but I think it is just the way the picture is taken. There are stake marks visible at the rear sight. According to WB III that serial# was applied to that receiver on 1 Oct 1943, this info is cited from actual Winchester logbook entries. I have no comment on the butt plate, I still struggle trying to identify them.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Paul1262 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2018 at 11:50am
Wayne, Greatly appreciate you taking a second look at this carbine and offering your observations and comments.
chipins View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote chipins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 26 2018 at 12:17pm
I have witnessed legacy collectibles along with just about every high volume seller on Gunbroker pedal trash . Their descriptions were not exactly what they should have been. Honest , dishonest or ignorant. As long as most of them have been in the game I would pick the second option listed unfortunately. The thing I don't get is most of them get top or more than top dollar for their items, garbage or not. As far as carbines and those big sellers, their prices are high and for no good reason other than a false sense of security. Cracks me up, they list a carbine on Gunbroker and it goes for stupid money , scroll down the page and an equal or nicer carbine will go for hundreds less.
RClark9595 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RClark9595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2021 at 6:59pm
Just the fact that you have to take the sellers word "sight un seen", by rights should be a major discount off price. I've bough 1 gun off GB that was a very long time ago, he offered to do a back door deal so I took it, wish I never had, he totally lied about the condition and I had no one to complain to. It took me several hundred dollars to get the gun safe to shot.
Now to shop for guns I go to the local gun shows at least there you get to see and handle the gun, talk to the seller face to face, most sellers are licensed gun dealers. Also I've been able to negotiate some trades as a way to get out from something I don't like into something that suits me better.
Just my 2 cents, I won't use gun broker again, here's the crazy part, I had to use ebay to buy the parts I needed to make the back door gun safe to shot, go figure.
Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.
weimar_police View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weimar_police Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2021 at 7:05pm
hmmmm, I would say a large majority of folks buy on-line, having it shipped direct (FFL 03) or to their dealer, all sight unseen?

I know the owner of Legacy and all the items stated here are conjecture and not the Tom W I know? I am prejudiced, I have known Tom and his son Kurt for the last 10-12 years and we shared tables. Very few people who know them would talk about them being dishonest?
Tom has a 100% free return on items bought and not for 3 days like most people.
If you had emailed and explained your concerns, you would have gotten a return email and not have gone on about how they are dishonest??
Edward Tinker
Co-Author of Police Lugers 2012
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I / Vol II and Vol III
Co-Author of the book Simson Lugers
 Post Reply Post Reply