The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bolt Disassembly Trick

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bolt Disassembly Trick
    Posted: Sep 13 2018 at 4:24pm
I was wandering around getting educated on the M14 and ran across a you tube discovering a neat trick to disassemble and assemble the bolt. I was thinking I may need an M14 tool to add to my collection, but now think I don't even need a carbine bolt tool. One can use a spent 30-06 case chambered in the 308 M14 to gut the bolt. Ride the slide down over the 06 case (which is longer than the 308) and force the extractor and ejector over the rim in their normal position. From this point, you can punch-out the extractor, ease the bolt back and there you have it. Just remove the bolt and it's remaining components. Assembly is performed in reverse.

I am thinking that if I can come up with a 7.62 x 33 case long enough to prevent the bolt from closing/rotating yet allowing the extractor-claw to override the rim, it could be stripped in this manner. It dosen't come to mind what other case I may could use for this, but I bet I can create one, or have my machinist buddy make a dummy-round that would work.

I plan to get right on this problem.

Uh Oh...I just realized a problem. The carbine extractor plunger lips-over the extractor and cannot be driven out. Oh well....I fired a blank here, but it still works for the M14 bolt and will work for the carbine using a small flat point screwdriver to pin-back the plunger.

Edited by floydthecat - Sep 13 2018 at 5:49pm
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2018 at 7:53pm
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2018 at 5:24am
Works great on the M14 bolt. The M14 extractor plunger has a round nose and sits in a recess in the extractor, much like the T1 carbine extractor retention system, and the extractor can be pushed-out over the plunger. The light-bulb finally came on in my head and I realized one would have to "pick" the extractor-plunger out of the way. Agreed, not for the rookie, but it can be done.
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2018 at 7:50pm
Just spend the $20 and get the bolt tool. You'll actually live longer.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2018 at 7:59pm
If I can find one for $20, I’ll buy it and have two.😁
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2018 at 6:31am
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 15 2018 at 6:55am
I went over to sarco last night and darned if I didn’t find them for just over $20.😁 Guess I will have to purchase another one to make good on my word.
 Post Reply Post Reply