The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Headspace Measurements

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Headspace Measurements
    Posted: Sep 11 2018 at 5:35pm
I received my Forster Headspace tools earlier today.   I then measured the headspace my Rock-Ola and my "new" NPM Bavarian.

I followed the guidance in norwich93CMP's video on Youtube.

I first stripped the carbines till only the bolts were in the receiver.  Both carbines were clean, but I gave them another cleaning in the areas highlighted in the video.

The Rock-Ola was checked first.  The bolt easily went into battery with the GO gauge.  Next, I inserted the NO GO gauge.  The bolt would not go into battery unless I pressed down on the large RH lug.  Just for grins, I also tried the FIELD gauge.  The bolt would not go into battery even with downward pressure on the right lug.  Based on these tests, the Rock seems fine.

The NPM Bavarian had pretty much the same results.  The only difference was the NO GO gauge would not go into battery even with downward pressure on the large RH lug.  I would have expected the Bavarian to be OK because it was used by the Austrian Rural Police for many years after WWII.

Next I will use my new USGI Bolt Tool to disassemble and clean my bolts.  Gotta get the darn cosmoline off first! Ermm

Semper Fi, Bruce
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2018 at 5:49pm
Did you mean the GO gauge would not go into battery on your Bavarian? The NO GO gauge is not supposed to go into battery.
JackP
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2018 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by jackp1028 jackp1028 wrote:

Did you mean the GO gauge would not go into battery on your Bavarian? The NO GO gauge is not supposed to go into battery.

No.  Only the NO GO and FIELD would not go into battery; just like the results on the Rock-Ola.

Semper Fi, Bruce
 Post Reply Post Reply