Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need help with checkered safety, please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help with checkered safety, please
    Posted: Sep 08 2018 at 5:21pm
I'm not smart at all on these. Should the ends have a champhored edge or is this one OK? Many thanks.

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2018 at 8:35am
There is a picture of that safety in Larson's M 1 Carbine and states, (Used through 1942)
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

Lupus Dei View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Club Secretary Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lupus Dei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2018 at 11:08am
Originally posted by Charles Charles wrote:

There is a picture of that safety in Larson's M 1 Carbine and states, (Used through 1942)

I would warn caution to anyone referencing Larson or using it to determine is a part is original.
In 2011 the club published a review by Brian Quick about the Larson book. Please read in full and understand what is being said.
Louis Dey
Admin
www.uscarbinecal30.com/forums
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2018 at 4:37pm
The legit Type 1 safeties I've see all have sharper checkering. They look more like the one on the left pictured below:

Here's a link I trust to another couple of images of Type 1 safeties. It addresses the chamfer.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/triggergroup4.html
JackP
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 09 2018 at 6:46pm
Hmm, I would have to check, But try installing in a housing. Is it flush with the housing or does the checkering protrude?
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2018 at 7:14am
FYI...Kuhnhausen's manual states diameter to be .310 +/-.003"  If <.307 replace.  I didn't find any specs for the older model safeties, only the late lever style.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2018 at 2:38pm
I just checked a few safeties and as anticipated the checkered is longer, but only .007 which I attribute to the material growing if the pattern was stamped.
Checking a few in the housings both the checkered and smooth protrude slightly in one direction but fluch in the other.
Basically you could not just check by installing.

Remember the there were two checkered safety types. One had a more noticeable chamfer.  However look at the side view above I find it suspect.
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2018 at 2:44pm
I agree. I turned it down.
Thanks for your eval
Regards
Reed
"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
 Post Reply Post Reply