Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Bavarian Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2018 at 3:04pm
I was curious about the weight differences between my Rock-Ola and NPM Bavarian.  I can tell the Bavarian carbine was lighter, but not the actual difference in weight.

A neighbor has a small kitchen scale, so time do some weighing.  Both carbines had their slings installed (Rock-Ola has a GI canvas sling and the Bavarian has the Austrian leather sling).  Here are the results:

Rock-Ola weight - 91.4 Oz's. (5.7 Lbs.)

NPM Bavarian - 83.6 Oz's. (5.2 Lbs.)

I attribute the weight difference to the smaller stock on the NPM Bavarian.  The Bavarian stock  was sanded down to remove all USGI marks from the wood.  In the two pictures below, you can see the differences in the size of the stock.

Semper Fi, Bruce
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2018 at 3:16pm
Bruce, I believe your butt plate to be Inland/SG type.
As to the weight, one of your stocks is a pot belly which is thicker in sides as well as forward area. So I would expect it to be heavier. Some pot belly stocks are a different wood which would change weight as well.
Also stock weight would vary due to the density differences from tree to tree as well as moisture content, but think this would be minimal.
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2018 at 4:42pm
Dan,

Thanks for your valued input.  The Rock-Ola has the pot belly stock; it is noticeably thicker and heftier.

Cheers!

Semper Fi, Bruce
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2018 at 4:17pm
Bolt Update:

I bought a "new" flat bolt for my NPM "Bavarian".  Got it from a guy selling it on the CMP forum.  It is in excellent condition and has the UN mark on the RH lug.  I will use it for target shooting.

BTW - My NPM muzzle measured a 2 on the muzzle wear gauge.  My Rock-Ola measured 2.5.  Both should be fun shooters. Smile

Semper Fi, Bruce
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2018 at 5:34pm
Last week, I finally got a chance to shoot my Bavarian NPM carbine.  I took it to an outdoor range and I was shooting from the 50 yard line.

I shot 6 magazines (90 rounds) from the offhand position.  All shots were on the target with 12X's.  I had to make some "manual" adjustments to my sight picture because of the limited adjustments available with the rear flip sight.  I am very pleased with how it performed; not a single malfunction, stovepipe or failure to load.  It was a joy to shoot!

As I said earlier, this Bavarian is a collector carbine to me because of it's documented history.  But it is nice to know it is an excellent shooter also.  I am very pleased with this acquisition.

Semper Fi, Bruce
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12