Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Irwin-Pedersen mixmaster

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slklmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Irwin-Pedersen mixmaster
    Posted: Sep 03 2018 at 3:03am
Here is my very first carbine, bought at a local auction where it was advertised and offered by the auctioneer as an Underwood.  No one else at the auction seemed to recognize that it was an IP.  It's got a mix of parts from its rebuild, and I'm ok with that.  I think it's cool that it came from the same factory (at least the receiver and barrel) as my Saginaw S'G', pictures of which I've posted in another thread in this sub-forum.  They're about 22,000 numbers apart- less than a month's production?  I've posted pictures of both guns together in another thread in the newcomer's sub-forum.

Can't see the 'Irwin Pedersen' above the serial # due to the rear sight, but it's there!

Barrel markings and proof mark.

AMCO Type III barrel band

Upper hand guard inside edge.

Sling well.

Proof mark on wrist behind escutcheon.  This mark and the 'IO' in the sling well are the only markings on this potbelly stock exterior that I can find.  Could a replacement potbelly stock have been limited to just these markings?

This '3' is on the left side of the receiver below the wood line.  My S'G' also has a mark in the same approximate area (a 'K') - is this something specific to the IP/S'G' production line?  Any ideas of what it means?

Receiver right rear behind the operating slide slot - I'm pretty sure I see a partial 'flaming bomb' ordnance mark here.

SG recoil plate.

Rear sight right side, with partial 'H in shield' mark.

Rear sight top with what looks to me like a hardness punch mark on the left side - too far away from the dovetail to be a stake mark?

Butt plate.  No markings that I can see.  I haven't bothered to try to figure out who the manufacturer is yet - maybe some day.

Bolt front top and left lug - this is the only marking on the bolt I can see.

'W-B' marked extractor, extractor plunger and 'ROCK-OLA' firing pin.

Inside of operating slide box.  No other markings on operating slide.

Trigger housing left side, bottom (with 'X' just in front of trigger guard) and right rear side with 'W' mark, partial '7' (?) below that, and a partial 'O' above and to the right of the 'W', along with a lot of punch marks of unknown purpose.   Any ideas as to why all the punch marks?

Hammer, hammer front and hammer back, along with marking (SG).

Hammer spring - 26 1/2 coils.

'M' mag catch.

Wide, smooth (not grooved) mag well rear wall.

Safety.

Sear ('BN' marked) and sear spring (untapered ends).

Trigger marked 'F .I.'

Type II trigger spring.

I've taken her to the range once so far and she shot great.  I'm content to leave her alone and not try to 'fix' everything to get her back into 'factory' condition, whatever that might be.  Thanks for any input/thoughts.
Scott

floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2018 at 4:55am
I vote Saginaw/Inland on the butt-plate. One can go blind, or become hypnotized staring at dots and squares, but the missing dots between10 and 2 indicate a Saginaw sometimes used by Inland to me.

tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2018 at 9:56am
Thanks for the pics and description. You did better on buying an "Underwood" than I did. I knew I was buying a commercial Carbine sold with Underwood barrel, but it had an RSG high wood I wanted so it wasn't a surprise. Your money was probably 4 times as well spent.
 Post Reply Post Reply