The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Winchester carbine - what have I got?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaschenf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Winchester carbine - what have I got?
    Posted: Aug 31 2018 at 7:56pm
I have a late 1943 or early 1944 Winchester Carbine.  Need help in determining authenticity.  While the serial number indicates it to be from the first batch of Winchester serial numbers, and the barrel has a "W" stamp rather than "WRA", the bolt is round and the rear sight is not the 'L' type but rather a stamped adjustable version.  The barrel band has a bayonet lug, and most strangely, the serial number is stamped on the stock. The stock is banged up (as I would suspect of a 85 year old stock). What have I got?  Please see pictures below.

floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2018 at 8:19pm
It appears to be an arsenal rebuild and possibly an Israeli import. Pull the receiver and look closely on the right side at the rear just under the sight. Any marks will be covered by the stock. Look for anything that looks like stamping or marks. Usually it’s difficult to see.

Not bashing the gun. I had an Underwood with the SN stamped on the stock and it was the most accurate carbine I have owned.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2018 at 8:53pm
85 year old stock? Hope a typo. 
your 1943 or 1944 is right on
Receiver was serialized Dec 16 1943. may or may not have been completed till 44. most likely shipped in 44

I would expect to see a W as well as the WP Winchester proof mark on barrel if it is original to receiver. It may be under band.

If all original parts I would suspect it has been corrected because of the .U. rebuild mark.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/postwar.html
If the carbine was not upgraded before going to Underwood for rebuild it surely would have been updated at that point.
This would include the barrel band, rear sight, flip safety and mag catch. Those that had early hammers and springs would have them swapped out as well.

Though a L front sight was a Winchester thing in first block I would not expect it on a late serial number in first block.

Lyman was the front sight provider to Winchester. The vast majority were not marked. They were however distinctive that they can be picked out from other unmarked front sights.
The reason you may not have correct sight is because original was removed to swap barrel band. Further with adjustable rear sight they would put new front sight to sight the carbine in (assuming ft sight was to low)

Agreed that it spent time in Israel based on serial number on side of stock.
Only record found was carbines sent to Israel was in 1978. They may have received them from other sources
 But I believe one other country may have done this as well. Serials on stock have also been observed near oiler cut.
We call that stock a potbelly. It is a post war upgrade. Has all the latest refinements. Shooters like them better as I understand it.

Interesting is the 1 and 5 marks. I believe sometimes there is a mark near rear sight on stock with 50, 100 or 200 which I would guess is showing amount of meters the carbine was sighted in for.

Looks to be a fine shooter. Post more pictures and you will find out much more.

Welcome to the forums!
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 31 2018 at 9:26pm
Welcome to the forum. While it has been to the arsenal, it's an honest example of a carbine. Hasn't been monkied with, i.e. restored and has that been there done that look. Congrats on the acquisition.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2018 at 10:55am
When the serial number matches the one stamped on the stock accept that it indicates an import stamped Carbine. Commonly it's the barrel being stamped with the tiny letters. I suppose some may have had the stamp on the right side of the receiver. Often times the stamped serial on the stock doesn't match the receiver serial number, but even those are almost always import stamped. I have an IP stock with original IP cartouche that has an early NPM serial number stamped from Israel.

For years my favorite Carbine was the arsenal upgraded Win that started my collecting.
Bubba-7 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bubba-7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2018 at 11:06am
Yes 10, you always remember your first one.  But do you still have it?
I still have my first one, a DCM 4.59 Rock-Ola.  Came with one 15, two 30 mags and fifty rounds for $90.00 OTD.   1972 La Grange, Ga.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2018 at 11:17am
Oh, yes. I still have it. It's ridiculously over-restored. I still love it.
RClark9595 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RClark9595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2018 at 7:16am
I have a Winchester mix-master that was rebuilt by Underwood, when I get into it like for cleaning, almost all the parts are Underwood, only the barrel and receiver are Winchester. So I jokingly call my gun an Un-Winchester, how's that for a new model?
Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 09 2018 at 11:24am
Ron, if you have an Un-Winchester, then I must have an In-Winchester. Except for the receiver and barrel, almost all the parts are Inland.
JackP
 Post Reply Post Reply