The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Correct Ammo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Correct Ammo
    Posted: Aug 30 2018 at 9:46am
I wanted to check with the experts to make sure I am shooting the proper ammo in my Carbine.

I have an early (1943 build) Rock-Ola Carbine that is all original.  I assume that any ammo marked ".30 Carbine", or "30 CARB", is ok for my weapon.  I also only purchase 110 grain ammo.

I know that today's ammo is a bit more powerful than it was in WWII.  I just wanted to make sure I don't shoot any ammo that would be harmful to my Carbine.  I am currently shooting Remington "30 CARB 110 Grain" that I purchased at one of our local sporting goods stores.  I have not had any problems with it, except punching out the "bull" at 100 yds (that is an operator problemWink).

Any advice or suggestions are welcome.  Thanks.

Edited by BER911 - Aug 30 2018 at 12:21pm
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2018 at 10:27am
BER911, Yes you are shooting the correct ammo. Any commercial .30 Carbine is ok to shoot in your carbine. There are some that say stay away from the Russian steel cased ammo, just because the steel casing may be rough on the bolts small parts.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2018 at 11:44am
The carbines were proofed with a round of like 140%, so it's not likely you will blow it up, using hot ammo,  steel-cased ammo, or your brother-n-laws reloads not withstanding.. If you shoot enough, you will be able to tell what the best ammo is for your carbine...just by the feel of it and where it tosses the brass. If the ammo you use correctly cycles the gun, you'll be okay with that.  I don't beat my guns up. I reload with slightly lighter charges that provide reliable cycling and accuracy. I can tell what load I just shot by observing where the brass is going.

These little guns are amazing, mine anyway. They cycle and shoot various projectile weighs and loads...always printing practically in the same spot on a target. Maybe I'm lucky....all three of my shooters do this.
BER911 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BER911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2018 at 12:20pm
Many thanks gentlemen!

Good to know I am shooting good ammo.  My carbine loads and cycles flawlessly which makes me happy.

I don't think I would buy any of the Russian steel-cased ammo for any number of reasons.  As suggested, I may try some different brands of carbine ammo just to see if any shoot better that the other.

Thanks again.

Semper Fi, Bruce
Lightning330 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightning330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 30 2018 at 8:22pm
As all said above. Your good to go. Just stay away from steel case ammo.
Every carbine has a favorite and also everyone will have a different opinion. Some like Armscor, I myself do not. I prefer PPU myself for commercial ammo. I like the brass since I reload. Magtech shoots and cycles well for me also. But the brass case dings easier. Some prefer soft point instead of FMJ. If it cycles fine, and your rifle likes it. Then stay with it.
If your punching the bull at 100yds. I'd say you have already found your sweet round without going on a search for better. Happy shooting....
Lightning 330
 Post Reply Post Reply