Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > For Sale > Wanted+
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Correct finish on 3/45 Inland

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAPTAINM2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Correct finish on 3/45 Inland
    Posted: Aug 27 2018 at 9:02pm
Greetings all!

New member and looking forward to the wealth of information.

Question one: My M2 marked 3/45 appears to be all original, except for the finish. I’m sure some well intentioned soul tried to preserve it with some sort of unidentifiable clear coat. Could someone advise me what the correct finish should be for that late in the production cycle. I am an SOT and NFA mfg and dealer. I’d love to see other’s M2s. The M1 Carbine is an all time classic...but add the giggle switch and the fun meter pegs!

Question two: I use a Labradar to chrono all my loads for my M1A, Garand, M1919, M2 Carbine, M16. Does anyone know the gentleman that makes the adapter to mount a piece of Weaver or 1913 to the unit to more accurately aim it?

Much obliged for any help.

CAPTAINM2
...that others may live...
zenfly View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zenfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2018 at 10:34am
I read they were dunked in linseed oil and hung to dry. Then I read it was boiled linseed oil.
Fly Fishing boat Capt Port Canaveral..FFF / CCI
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2018 at 11:07am
CAPTAINM2, if you are talking about the finish on your stock, Raw Linseed oil only.
As far as your labradar adapter, I found this link on the internet, it may help.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?310898-WTS-3D-Printed-Lab-Radar-Scope-Mount&p=3711445&viewfull=1#post3711445
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2018 at 12:21pm
Correct finish for a M1 carbine is Raw Linseed Oil.
CAPTAINM2 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAPTAINM2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2018 at 2:28pm
Thanks.   Much for the info. Is it worth it to sand the crap off and do the linseed, or now that it is what it is, just leave it?

Appreciate the hookup on the Labradar mount.

Much obliged.

A
CAPTAINM2
CAPTAINM2 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAPTAINM2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2018 at 2:29pm
Thanks for the time to respond. I knew it wasn’t supposed to be shiny, but wasnn’t 100% sure it was just linseed.

Appreciated.

A
CAPTAINM2
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2018 at 2:51pm
If an original M2 I would love to see the data sheet!
If I had a collectable then proper finish is what I would want. Be warned sandpaper and water are the enemy of a collector stock!

If a shooter stock then whatever your heart desires.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2018 at 2:59pm
To be more precise, you'l need to strip off the old finish being careful not to remove any evidence of condition. The linseed oil must be applied to totally  unfinished wood. 
I brush or rag on a liberal coat of oil, hang it up to dry and re coat again.
Caution, be sure to thoroughly soak any rags or brushes in water because under the right conditions, linseed oil will self ignite.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2018 at 10:47am
Formbys Furniture Refinisher works good to remove such finishes without affecting the patina of the wood. Take it slow.

I'd love to see pics of an original M2 in that serial range (going by 3-45 barrel date). Hand stamp "2"?
CAPTAINM2 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAPTAINM2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2018 at 12:05pm
Thank you, Sir. The info is much appreciated. I can’t upload on this computer. An Apple. Not a fan. If you would like to pm me, I would be happy to show you some close ups as well as some good full auto fire. Clear markings. Be happy to send you a clear pic of the SN. There are some pix of it in action on my fb, 408works. An especially a great mag dump where it got the camera right into the .30 cal casing rainbow. Even broke my screen protector.

You sound like someone that I can learn a lot from. I look forward to a PM and I’ll send you all the M2 Carbine shots you can handle. There’s a beautiful M1919 strutting its stuff as well.

Much appreciated.

A
Captain@408works.com
CAPTAINM2
CAPTAINM2 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAPTAINM2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2018 at 12:30pm
Pm for any pix you might want to see. Thanks for you help. Glad I’m in with a bunch of friendly folk that are so much more knowledgeable than me.

I’m a gunsmith and builder. A collector of things “correct”, I am not. There4, all comments and suggestions are welcome.

A
CAPTAINM2
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2018 at 10:35pm
Thats a neat video you have on your FB page. Every time I go out to Vegas I call the ranges that have an M2 but it's always "out of service"... I have an itch to shoot one but I have had to settle for grease guns, stens, Thompson's, 1919, M249 Sent you a PM for pics of your rifle.
 Post Reply Post Reply