The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New guy from IA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slklmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New guy from IA
    Posted: Aug 25 2018 at 5:07pm
After several years of collecting WWII German P.38 pistols, I decided to go for an M1 carbine to complement the M1 Garand that I also have in my collection.  I acquired my first M1 (an Irwin-Pedersen mixmaster) at an auction where it was listed as an Underwood, and nobody else seemed to recognize it as an IP.  I took it shooting with the grandsons and had a blast.  I knew I was going to have to get another one.  The second M1 is an S'G' only about 22000 serial numbers later than the IP, and appears to be substantially correct.  Got that one at another auction, along with a Kinfolks M4 bayonet and a group of 7 15-round magazines (assorted SS, QU, (SP) and AT markings), 2 boxes of Evansville steel-case ammo (headstamp EC43) and a box of Lake City (LC43) ammo, all for a pretty good price I think.  I think it's neat that both carbines came from the same factory.
I posted on the forum earlier asking about damage to the oiler on the IP and got some very good feedback.   I'm finding such a wealth of information here.
Here are a few photos that I took on my phone, so sorry for the quality.

The IP has the milled sight, the S'G' has the flip sight.

I'll try to take more and better photos once I gain access to a better/real camera.  TIA for all the knowledge I know I'm going to gain here.
Scott
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2018 at 5:55pm
Good looking carbines there Scott. I wish I could find an IP mixmaster or other wise where the seller had it listed as something else. Would like to see some left side receiver pics of each of them out of the stocks.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2018 at 6:47pm
Hi Scott,
You got my attention. Having an S'G' from the IP/Grand Rapids plant serial. # 3549164. It is all S'G' But this number is out place.
Anxious to see closeup pictures of all of the parts. Try to make data sheets for them.
Welcome to the forum.
Charles
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

slklmoore View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slklmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2018 at 9:32pm
Thanks Wayne & Charles.  I've made data sheets on both of them and emailed them in.
Here are a few more pictures - again, sorry for the low quality.  Waiting to get my hands on a better camera.

Saginaw S'G', rt side - I see a partial flaming bomb behind the square end cut of the slide slot - hard to tell.

Saginaw S'G', slide arm - I see a partial flaming bomb here on the arm also.

Saginaw S'G', left side, hammer.

IP, rt side - I see a 'W' at the rear of the TH, and a '7' lower down towards the corner.  Also, a partial 'C' or 'O' above and to the right of the 'W'.  Also, a lot of punch marks above the 'W' and on the top of the trigger?  Partial flaming bomb behind the square end cut of the slide slot, like the S'G'?

IP, rt side - a little bit closer and blurrier on the TH.

IP, left side - '3' on the left side of receiver - not sure what that means.

IP, rt side - a little bit better view of the TH with all the punch marks?

IP, left side, hammer.

Scott
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2018 at 12:45pm
I am curious about the flaming bomb on theses S'G' s. My S'G' has none. Can anyone explain this?
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

Post Reply Post Reply